[comp.ai.digest] Terminal Talk

hovy@vaxa.isi.EDU.UUCP (08/17/87)

Who introduced the faces for our bboard language

   :-)  and  :-(  and  :-|

and how many others were there? (I remember first seeing them
about two or three years ago.)

In what order did these marks develop? As far as I know,

   when you wanted to emphasize something, I mean REALLY
   EMPHASIZE it, you capitalized...

which, pretty soon, was replaced by

   the *much* *more* elegant stars...

Why?

Is emphasis enough? How about that little request for
confirmation, to make sure the audience is with you? Or
just to show a hint of reservation? But perhaps we never
use that noninteractively. (--?)

Do we need the tension-building pause and resolution? How about:

   so she slowly opened the door, and inside, she saw...

Does the order of development of these marks mean anything?
What will terminaltalk look like in fifty years' time? Colored
words? How narrow IS (but not *is* (--?)) the bandwidth of the
terminal? Has anyone looked at these questions?

Hmm...

  [I'm sure many of these typographic conventions have arisen
  from the print world.  I like to use >>this<< notation for
  italics, which seems less obtrusive and easier to pair-match
  than ***s.  (It was my own invention, although I've had an
  editor ask me if I meant "Spanish quotes.")  Another emphatic
  form you didn't mention was made famous by H*Y*M*A*N K*A*P*L*A*N.
  Words can also be  s t r e t c h e d  on a terminal.  Uppercase
  is generally taken to mean SHOUTING, although consistent uppercase
  often signifies that the sender is on an Army base.  University
  students often use @i(Scribe) or {\it TeX} notation, which permits
  distinguishing italics from boldface but is neither graphic
  (i.e., "vivid") nor sufficiently universal.

  What does the future hold?  Why animated 3-D color graphics, of
  course.  (Animated text is already a hackers' specialty.  Arpanetters
  can try the "finger laws@sri.com" command for a simple example.)
  I'm looking forward to typing in Oriental brush strokes.  See the
  last CACM for an interesting article about word processing in Arabic.

  I don't recall seeing smiley faces in print, although Reader's
  Digest had a note about a -) tongue-in-cheek symbol about twenty
  years ago.  (Another typographic innovation was the interrobang,
  used when ?!??!!! seems appropriate -- but far less >>precise<<,
  to my way of thinking.)  I once saw a book about making birthday
  cakes, faces, and other graphics using red and black typewriter
  symbols (including many overstruck characters) -- I still have a
  bookplate that I constucted from the illustrated borders, flourishes,
  and composite-character alphabets.

  Someone at Stanford tried to pin down the origin of the smiley
  faces, without success.  I'll forward three of the more interesting
  messages.  -- KIL]

gately%resbld@ti-csl.CSNET ("Michael T. Gately") (08/20/87)

With referenc to TERMINAL TALK, another effective
device for highlighting a portion of a message
is _to_surround_it_with_underscores_.  I use this
when typing book references without a text formatter.

Another interesting notation is the order of the
characters in a serial interrobang.  I feel that there
is a definate difference between ?! and !?.  The  first
would be appropriate when describing (with disbelief)
a question someone asked.  The second is used when
questioning a statement someone made.

uucp@hjuxa.UUCP (08/21/87)

I can shed no light on most of Hovy's questions, but I think I can
claim priority on the use of underscores as delimiters:

	He's reading _Moby Dick._ He says it's _very_ boring.

An earlier format uses underscores throughout; e.g.,

	I need a copy of _The_Art_of_Computer_Programming_, Volume 4.

Personally I prefer *asterisks* for emphasis and _underscores_ for
other applications of italics.

By the way, recently my three-year-old son told me excitedly that there
was a kitty on my home terminal.  Actually it was a C-R (carriage-return)
glyph, with the C slightly higher than the R and running into it like a
cat's tail.  Can anybody think of a use for such "kitties"?
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...!ihnp4!odyssey!gls

gjerawlins@watdaisy.waterloo.EDU ("Gregory J.E. Rawlins") (09/07/87)

In article <8708240530.AA19550@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
gately%resbld@ti-csl.CSNET ("Michael T. Gately") writes:
>Another interesting notation is the order of the
>characters in a serial interrobang.  I feel that there
>is a definate difference between ?! and !?.  The  first
>would be appropriate when describing (with disbelief)
>a question someone asked.  The second is used when
>questioning a statement someone made.

In chess annotations "!?" is used to indicate an interesting but
dubious move and "?!" is used to indicate a dubious but
interesting move. Chess also uses !,?,!!, and ??.
	greg.
--
GJE Rawlins gjerawlins%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet gjerawlins@watdaisy.watersav> <in