[comp.ai.digest] OPS5 for the PC

Len%AIP1%TSD@atc.bendix.COM (09/17/87)

Date: Thu, 17 Sep 87 10:05 EDT
From: Len Moskowitz <Len@HEART-OF-GOLD.ABATSD>
Subject: OPS5 for the PC
To: "3077::IN%\"AIList-Request@kl.sri.com\""@TSD1.ABATSD

I reviewed TOPSI 2.0 (from Dynamic Master Systems of Atlanta, Georgia,
404-565-0771) in the August 1986 issue of BYTE.  It was an incomplete, slow,
non-standard OPS5 but was reasonably priced (under $400) and useful for some
applications.  A later release was supposed to include Rete but the beta
version I saw was still pretty buggy.  By now though, it might be solid.

I reviewed OPS5+ (from Computer * Thought of Plano, Texas, 214-424-3511) on
Byte's BIX computer information service in June of 1987.  OPS5+ is a very fast,
and complete OPS5 for the PC with useful extensions.  It interfaces well with
external procedures written in C.  It is also very expensive (around $1700).

You also have the option of running the Common Lisp version of Forgy's OPS5
under a PC Common Lisp, though it'll likely be slower than OPS5+.

By the way, anyone looking for a PC-based production system language should
seriously consider NASA's CLIPS, available from COSMIC (404-542-3265)for $200.
It is program number M87-11021.  The documentation is an additional $17.  It is
written in C and source is provided.

I'd be happy to send out copies of the reviews.  Please send a large,
self-addressed, double-stamped envelope to:

Len Moskowitz
Bendix TSD
mc 4/8
Teterboro, NJ 07608