[comp.ai.digest] Slava Prazdny

Laws@KL.SRI.COM (Ken Laws) (09/29/87)

Date: Wed, 23 Sep 87 15:38:40 PDT
From: Amy Lansky <lansky@venice.ai.sri.com>
Subject: sad news

I thought I should let people know of a very unfortunate accident that
occurred this weekend.  Slava Prazdny (formally at SPAR/FLAIR, most recently
at FMC) died this past Sunday in a hang-gliding accident.  There will
be a memorial service October 7.  I will let you know of more details
when I find out.

-Amy

-------
-------

baird@cel.fmc.COM (Michael Baird) (09/29/87)

As many of you know by now, Slava Prazdny died Saturday, September 19th, in a
hang-gliding accident, high in the California mountains.  He is survived by
his wife, Dagmar Dolan, their as yet unborn child, and his 15 year old
daughter Bronja Prazdny.  Slava was 38.  He was with FMC's Santa Clara AI
Center during the past two years, and before that at Schlumberger's Palo Alto
Research Center / Fairchild Laboratory for Artificial Intelligence Research.

Memorial Services will  be held  at 3:15  p.m., Wednesday  October 7th, 1987,
outdoors in Foothills Park, operated by the City of Palo Alto, just a few
miles up Page Mill Road "west" of I-280.  Flowers may be brought to the
memorial.  Dagmar invites members of the AI community to attend.
It is suggested that you enter the park gate (it says for Palo Alto residents
only -- but tell the guard that you are attending the memorial) around 3 p.m.
From the parking area find the "Lee" grove (two large redwoods) beyond the
picnic tables.  Services will be informal, as Slava would have wanted them to
be.

Slava had published over 60 refereed papers, and was recognized
internationally as an expert in many aspects of human and machine perception.
His latest works in stereo vision and adaptive "neural" networks were deemed
scientific breakthroughs.

A beautiful Redwood tree in Big Basin State Park will be dedicated in Slava's
name.  This will be a pleasant place we can go to remember Slava.  The family
has asked that donations be sent in his name to The Sempirvirens Fund, 2483
Old Middlefield Way, Mountain View, CA 94043.

Mike Baird

baird@cel.fmc.com
(408) 289-4932