hamscher@HT.AI.MIT.EDU (Walter Hamscher) (10/19/87)

   Date: Fri, 16 Oct 87 11:03:46 PDT
   From: glasgow@marlin.nosc.mil (Michael G. Glasgow)

	I am new to AIList and AI programming and want to learn Lisp.
   I have been looking through Steele's book, Common Lisp", and
   have discovered that this is more of a reference manual than a
   beginners guide.  What I am wondering is if anyone can give me
   the names of some good introductory Lisp books to get me started.

There are several.  Here are two:

    Winston, Horn, "LISP".  Addison-Wesley (1984 I think).  Teaches
    you common lisp from the atoms on up.

    Charniak, Riesbeck, McDermott "Artificial Intelligence
    Programming" Lawrence Erlbaum (1980).  What every AI programmer
    should know, though unfortunately the lisp dialect is getting a
    bit dated.

Two others I know of but have never had the opportunity to use:

    Wilensky, "Common LISPcraft".  Norton, 1984.

    Brooks, "Programming in Common Lisp."  MIT Press, 1985.

You will undoubtedly hear from the partisans of other books.

andyr@apple.UUCP (Andy Rundquist) (10/20/87)

In article <8710161803.AA06962@marlin.nosc.mil>, glasgow@MARLIN.NOSC.MIL
(Michael G. Glasgow) writes:

>      I am new to AIList and AI programming and want to learn Lisp.
> I have been looking through Steele's book, Common Lisp", and
> have discovered that this is more of a reference manual than a
> beginners guide.  What I am wondering is if anyone can give me
> the names of some good introductory Lisp books to get me started.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> michael

To me, the best (and most enjoyable) Lisp introduction can be found in:

_The Little Lisper_ by D. Freidman.

Andy

(Now CONS a piece of cake into your mouth)

tau@secisl.seclab.junet ("Yatchan" TAUCHI) (10/20/87)

(Michael G. Glasgow) writes:
> I have been looking through Steele's book, Common Lisp", and
> have discovered that this is more of a reference manual than a
> beginners guide.
It's not a good text book to Lisp beginners, but just specification of COMMON-
LISP.

> What I am wondering is if anyone can give me
> the names of some good introductory Lisp books to get me started.

I think there are not many good books on CommonLisp yet.  I recommend
"Common LISPcraft" by Robert Wilensky, Norton $26.95.  His book, "LISPcraft"
was very good text book on FranzLisp. I think it's easy to understand how to
write CommonLisp program.

----
Yasuyuki TAUCHI, SECOM IS-Lab, Tokyo JAPAN
NET:	tau%seclab.junet@uunet.UU.NET
UUCP:	...!seismo!kddlab!titcca!secisl!tau

smoliar@VAXA.ISI.EDU (Stephen Smoliar) (10/20/87)

Back in the dark ages when I was teaching LISP, I used to rely heavily on
THE LITTLE LISPER by Daniel Friedman.  I felt that the important thing about
learning LISP was getting comfortable with expressing yourself in a functional
style and using the format of recursive definitions.  Friedman does an
excellent job of walking you through a broad variety of examples.  You
emerge from this book with a good sense of the power of a "pure" applicative
style of LISP programming.  Having done so, you are now ready for the "real
world" provided by the particular dialect of LISP you will actually be using.

oltz@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Michael Oltz) (10/23/87)

In article <8710191454.AA26556@ht.ai.mit.edu> hamscher@HT.AI.MIT.EDU
(Walter Hamscher) writes:
>    Charniak, Riesbeck, McDermott "Artificial Intelligence
>    Programming" Lawrence Erlbaum (1980).  What every AI programmer
>    should know, though unfortunately the lisp dialect is getting a
>    bit dated.
At a talk McDermott gave at Cornell in September, it was announced that
the 2nd edition of this book would be coming out soon.
--
Mike Oltz   oltz@tcgould.tn.cornell.UUCP  (607)255-8312
Cornell Computer Services

joglekar@riacs.EDU.UUCP (10/28/87)