[comp.ai.digest] THE MIND

UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET (10/08/87)

I read some of the MIND theories espoused in the Oct 2 list, and am
frankly disappointed.  All those debates are based on the Science vs
Mysticism debates that were going on 10 years ago when I was an undergrad.
I have since discarded both arguments into the /dev/null file.  Nonetheless
I would like to make a few comments.
1) It is wrong to assume emotion is a flaw of the mind, or even bring up
Manson and Hitler.  I would say absence of emotion is a flaw of the mind.
You want to talk about genius where mind and emotion are equal partners,
look at Ornette Coleman or John Coltrane.  Anyone who downgrades emotion
(or i should say "emotional intelligence") is committing suicide.
2) Even if you say a mind is flawed because it can't be "objective",
( I know some cyberneticians who were saying that we soon won't be
talking in terms of "objective" vs "subjective".  Those words will be
obsolete) let me ask a question.  Does anyone believe that as two
people become more informed about any subject, as their knowledge and
information increases that they will become in agreement?  I think the
answer is no, and not because the mind is flawed.
3) Some of you seem to be making science in general and AI in particular
a religion.  Especially with pie-in-the-sky projects of making computers
AI identical to human intelligence.  That strikes me as another immortality
project.   Let us say for the sake of argument that you could ( sometime in
the year 2525).  In that case the product will be necessarily flawed since
the human mind is flawed by your arguments.  So what have your gained.
4) In the area of art, I prefer so-called irrationality and surrealism.
it is more interesting.
5) AI should concern itself with solving problems, discovering new ways to
solve and conceptialize problems.  It is not as glamorous as making artificial
souls, but more practical and fruitfull.
Jeff "FREE" Beer, PAN recording artist

gilbert@hci.hw.ac.UK.UUCP (10/29/87)

In article <8710120559.AA17517@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET writes:
>I read some of the MIND theories espoused in the Oct 2 list, and am
>frankly disappointed.  All those debates are based on the Science vs
>Mysticism debates that were going on 10 years ago when I was an undergrad.

Isn't it a shame that so many people in AI are so ignorant of the
substance of these debates?

>5) AI should concern itself with solving problems, discovering new ways to
>solve and conceptialize problems.  It is not as glamorous as making
>artificial souls, but more practical and fruitful.

Fortunately, this highly sensible view is attracting more support, and,
with luck, it should establish itself as the raison d'etre of AI
research. A change of name would help (viz demise of cyberbetics),
despite the view of many old hands (e.g. Simon), that they wouldn't
have chosen the name, but we are stuck with it now. I can't see how any
sensible person would want to stick with a term with such distasteful
connotations.

However, this orientation for post-AI advanced computer applications
research needs extension. It is not enough to develop new computerised
support for new problem solving techniques. Research is also needed
into the comprehensibility, ease of learning and validity of these
techniques. Determinants of their acceptability in real organisational
settings are also a vital research topic. Is research in medical expert
systems, for example, worth public funding when it seems that NO
medical expert system is being used in a real clinical setting?  What
sorts of systems would be acceptable? Similarly, the theorem prover
based proof editors under development for software engineering seem to
require knowledge and skills which few practising software
professionals will have time to develop, so one can't really see proof
editors developing into real work tools until a major shift in their
underlying models occur.

Such a user-oriented change of direction is a major problem for AI
researchers, as few of them seem to have any real experience of
succesfully implementing a working system and installing it in a real
organisational setting, and then maintaining it. DEC's XCON is one of
the few examples. How much is PROSPECTOR used these days?
--
   Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Ben Line Building, Edinburgh, EH1 1TN
   JANET:  gilbert@uk.ac.hw.hci    ARPA:   gilbert%hci.hw.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk