[comp.ai.digest] AIList V5 #253 - LISP, NIL, Msc.

MINSKY@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU (10/31/87)

>currently building a AI bibliography and still searching for a
>suitable classification/key word scheme.

In the IRE Transactions on Human Factors in Electronics, March 1961, I
published a big (600 item) bibliography on AI.  It may have been the
first published descriptor-index bibliography or, perhaps, the first
to use the term "descriptor", which I got from Calvin Mooers.  Now
NOEKE wants one that has "gained wide-spread use in the AI community"
and my 1961 set of terms must be rather dated and does not reflect
many newer ideas.  However, much of it may still be useful.  And I
would be curious about how useful it might remain after all those
years.

The bibliography was a by-product of work on my other 1961 article,
"steps toward artificial intelligence" which appeared in the
Proceedings of the IRE (whose name later changed to Proc. IEEE.)  The
reason the bibliographic appeared in the more obscure Human Factors
journal was that "Steps" was already too long and there was no more
room.  Tom Marill was editing a special issue of the HF transactions
and offered to place it there because that issue contained other
AI-related topics.

dickey@ssc-vax.UUCP (Frederick J Dickey) (11/04/87)

In article <MINSKY.12346702081.BABYL@MIT-OZ>, MINSKY@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU writes:

> >currently building a AI bibliography and still searching for a
> >suitable classification/key word scheme.

In "The AI Magazine" a couple of years ago, there was an article that presented
an AI classification scheme. If my memory serves me right, the author of the
article says he developed it for some sort of library/information retrieval
application. It sounds like it is fairly close to what noekel@uklirb wants.
I can't give a more specific citation because my collection of AI Magazines
is at home.