[comp.ai.digest] Lenat's AM program AIList V5 #257 - Methodology

nick@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (Nick Papadakis) (11/05/87)

    Shane Bruce <bruce@vanhalen.rutgers.edu> replies:

    >The policy which you are advocating, while admirable, is not practical.  No
    >corporation which is involved in state of the art AI research is going to
    >allow listings of their next product/internal tool to made available to the
    >general scientific community, even on a non-disclosure basis.  Why should
    >they give away what they intend to sell?

This is precisely why corporations involved in state of the art AI
research (and any other form of research) will find it difficult to make
major advances.  New ideas thrive in an environment of openness and free
interchange.

	- nick