[comp.ai.digest] Request for RACTER

ST502042@BROWNVM.BITNET.UUCP (12/04/87)

Howdy!
I am interested in locating the (in)famous 'AI' program RACTER. Unfortunately I
 don't remember too much about it except that I first heard about it in an arti
cle in Scientific American and that a book called "The Policeman's Beard is Hal
f Constructed" that contained bits of prose that it created was published a few
 years ago. I am interested in finding any version of the program (source code
would be fantastic) If there is a group or company that owns the rights to it o
r is selling a commercial version, I would love to know their address. While I'
m on the subject, if anyone knows of other 'Eliza-like' AI programs out there,
please let me know.
        Thanks in advance,
        Michael Nosal (please respond to this account if possible)

hirai@swatsun.UUCP (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) (12/13/87)

In article <8712041829.AA19308@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ST502042@BROWNVM.BITNET
(Michael Nosal) writes:
>m on the subject, if anyone knows of other 'Eliza-like' AI programs out there,
>please let me know.

	GNU Emacs has a bery primitive Eliza-like (un-AI like) lisp program
called 'doctor'.  Also check out 'flames' too, which reponds to your
efforts at communicating with it through flames.  Very sociable. :-)

>        Michael Nosal (please respond to this account if possible)

						-a.g. hirai
--
Eiji "A.G." Hirai @ Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081 | Tel. 215-543-9855
UUCP:   {rutgers, ihnp4, cbosgd}!bpa!swatsun!hirai |  "All Cretans are liars."

roberts%cognos@math.waterloo.EDU (Robert Stanley) (12/15/87)

	   ST502042@BROWNVM.BITNET.UUCP writes:
>Howdy!
>I am interested in locating the (in)famous 'AI' program RACTER.

There is a commercial version of Racter available for the Apple Macintosh,
published by Mindscape.  I do not have their address to hand, but they are
a major player in the Mac games market (Deja Vu, Balance of Power, etc.) and
so should be fairly easy to track down via a computer store or magazine.

Racter is in no way ai, but it can be fairly amusing.

Robert_S
--
R.A. Stanley             Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1440 (Research: there are 2!)           3755 Riverside Drive

jbn@GLACIER.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (12/17/87)

      RACTER is available as a commercial product.  Try a computer store
with a good selection of games.

					John Nagle