[comp.ai.digest] intelligent nanocomupters

t05rrs%mpx1@LANL.GOV (Dick Silbar) (01/26/88)

David West replied to Godden's query about Drexler's work in a sardonic way,
I think, by extrapolating the earlier remark to "...such a machine could then
just be allowed to run and should be able to accomplish a century of progress
in one hour."  I am reminded of a novel some years back by Robert Forward,
"Dragon's Egg", in which just that did happen in a civilization living on the
surface of a neutron star.

dwt@EECS.UMICH.EDU (David West) (02/02/88)

In article <8801251914.AA24568@LANL.GOV> t05rrs%mpx1@LANL.GOV
  (Dick Silbar) writes:
>...to accomplish a century of progress in one hour."  I am reminded of a novel
>some years back by Robert Forward, "Dragon's Egg", in which just that did
>happen in a civilization living on the surface of a neutron star.

Within that novel, no simulation was involved; the civilization "naturally" ran
that fast because the dominant forces in its material basis were baryonic
("strong nuclear") rather than coulomb ("electromagnetic").

-Davi.