[comp.ai.digest] Intelligent Nanocomputers

GODDEN@gmr.COM (01/15/88)

I would like to recommend to the readers of ailist that they take a
look at the book >Engines of Creation< by K. Eric Drexler of MIT.
He presents in layman's terms the basics of nanotechnology, which
is the emerging field of molecular-sized machines, including computers.
(In the notes are references to technical works.)  Of particular
interest to AI folks is the chapter on AI and nanocomputers.  Let me
just relate one item to give you a hint of what it's about.  Drexler
makes the fascinating claim (no doubt many will vehemently disagree)
that to create a true artificial intelligence it is not necessary to
first understand intelligence.  All one has to do is simulate the
brain, which can be done given nanotechnology.  He suggests that a
complete hardware simulation of the brain can be done, synapse-for-
synapse and dendrite-for-dendrite, in the space of one cubic centimeter
(this figure is backed up in the notes).  Such a machine could then
just be allowed to run and should be able to accomplish a man-year of
work in ten seconds.  The unstated assumption is that a computer that
is isomorphic to the human brain will ipso facto be intelligent, and
presumably will be able to construct its own 'mental' models once power
is supplied.  No need to supply it with software.  (I may be misinter-
preting the book on this point.)  Interesting reading in any case.
He even predicts (!) in chapter one that the initial nanomachines will
be with us in ten to fifty years.  Forward is by Minsky.  In paperback.

-Kurt Godden
 godden@gmr.com

dwt@EECS.UMICH.EDU (David West) (01/20/88)

In article <8801180618.AA08132@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> GODDEN@gmr.COM writes:
> [...] the book >Engines of Creation< by K. Eric Drexler of MIT. [...]
>it is not necessary to first understand intelligence.  All one has to do is
>simulate the brain [...] a complete hardware simulation of the brain can be
>done [...] in the space of one cubic centimeter [...] h a machine could then
>just be allowed to run and should be able to accomplish a man-year of
>work in ten seconds.

The breathtaking simplicity of the idea is awesome.  Of course, some
technological advances will be necessary for its realization, but note that
to attain them, it is not necessary to understand technology ... all one has
to do is simulate its development.  A complete hardware simulation of the
U.S. technological enterprise can be done in the space of one cubic meter
(see appendix A) ... such a machine could then just be allowed to run, and
should be able to accomplish a century of progress in one hour.

lewis@smu.UUCP (Eve Lewis) (01/30/88)

Re: Godden's review of >Engines of Creation< by K. Eric Drexler

> Drexler makes the fascinating claim (no doubt many will vehemently
> disagree) that to create a true artificial intelligence it is  not
> necessary to first understand intelligence. All one has to  do  is
> simulate  the brain, which  can  be  done given nanotechnology. He
> suggests that a complete hardware simulation of the brain  can  be
>  done, synapse-for-synapse and dendrite-for-dendrite, in the space
> of one cubic centimeter (this figure is backed up in  the  notes).
>  Such  a  machine  could then just be allowed to run and should be
> able to accomplish a man-year of work in ten seconds. The unstated
> assumption is that a computer that  is  isomorphic  to  the  human
>  brain will ipso facto be intelligent, and presumably will be able
> to construct its own 'mental' models once power  is  supplied.  No
> need to supply it with software.

Perhaps  we  can  suggest an approach to dovetail with, and enhance,
Drexler's. One supposes that the structure of the brain is  alright,
as  far  as  it  goes.  It's  even  been  referred  to  as "Nature's
Masterpiece." Nonetheless, it's important  to  understand  that  the
human  brain  per  se, is a product of the structural genes, to wit:
the respected exons. I say the following:

1)  Get an advance copy of that gene map of the entire human genome,
a  project  now  underway. (Be apprised that the human genome is the
nanocomputer to end all nanocomputers, and anything else that  comes
along can only be second-best.)

2) Discard the real junk, the exon sequences.

3) Retain the alleged "junk," the intron sequences. Design a program
to look for matches between two stores of complex data. Feed all the
intron "junk" (one store of complex data) into the program.  Accumu-
late  from  all  cultures,  but  particularly  from Western "civ," a
plethora of human thought fossils, i.e., Edward O. Wilson's  cultur-
gens (the second store of complex data), and feed the stuff into the
program.  Set  the  program going, to look for "matches," and voila!
There you have it. A functional facsimile  of  the  code  underlying
human thought processes.

> The unstated assumption is that a computer that is  isomorphic  to
>  the  human  brain  will ipso facto be intelligent, and presumably
>  will  be  able to construct its own 'mental' models once power is
> supplied. No need to supply it with software.

4)  The structure of the human brain is an excellent starting point,
and I wouldn't neglect it entirely, "form following  function,"  and
all  that  sort  of  thing.  Nonetheless,  when push comes to shove,
molecular biology is really where it's at. I mean, there are degrees
of fidelity, when it comes to isomorphism. Besides, what A.I. really
needs, is isofunctionalism. For example:

One  could  construct  a  life-sized  metal and plastic model of the
human brain, even one good enough,  in  terms  of  isomorphism,  for
teaching  purposes  in  a neuroanatomy class. Even one that could be
taken apart, and put back together, with the nuclei properly enscon-
sed, and the tracts properly aligned.

If one then put clock innards inside, and supplied electrical power,
would it "think"? We know that it would not. Indeed, if we  imbedded
a small clock face, with hands and numerals, in Broca's speech area,
it would give us excellent time, just like any old Westclox!!! If we
put  in  one  of those talking mechanisms, Broca's speech area would
TELL us the time. But our poor isomorphic  brain,  here,  would  not
come  up  with Einstein's Theory of Relativity, or anything like it.
And that's really what we're after, isn't it?

5) Now, what kind of a  mind  would  we  really  like  in  our  A.I.
act-alike?  Do  we  want the mind of a conformist? Or do we want the
mind of a meshuggener? No, on both counts. We want  the  mind  of  a
quality  Zeitgeist  smasher.  So  we  have  to  discern  the in vivo
give-and-take of the repressors and enhancers, as well as the coding
sequences themselves, and work that into any program, along with the
base pair sequences that determine the culturgens. ("This  one's  no
good,"  "That  one's  terrific,"  "Maybe we can use that one another
time," etc.) We may even  be  able  to  avail  ourselves  of  binary
simplicity  by  equating the purine bases with 1, and the pyrimidine
bases with 0. The entire thing is degenerate, anyway, and  could  do
with some streamlining.

6) Some closing comments: Don't get hung up on  morphology;  it's  a
Linnaean  trap,  set  for  the  sentimental. There isn't creature, a
physiological structure, neurons included,  or  a  neurotransmitter,
that  doesn't owe its life to several strings of base pairs. Really,
it isn't the brain that thinks, or the neuron(s)  that  think;  it's
the differentially-expressed genome in the neuron(s) that thinks.

In  regard  to the disdained pseudogenes, referred to as "junk" DNA,
and believed to be "silent," which like Rodney  Dangerfield,  "Don't
get  no  respect," perhaps like Alexander Fleming's penicillin mold,
they could be  the  "bluebird  of  artificial/natural  intelligence,
right in our own DNA," and so, worthy of attention.

It holds true for natural intelligence, artificial intelligence, and
impressive isomorphs: "You can lead a 'mind' to information, but you
can't make it think."

And finally, hopefully there  are  no  male  chauvinists  among  the
readers  of,  and  contributors to, this net. If so, let me warn you
that any aspirant to the Holy Grail, i.e., the comprehension of  in-
ternal  rep, is doomed from the start if he overlooks the "junk" DNA
in the maternally-inherited mitochondrial genome.

- Eve Lewis

dwt@EECS.UMICH.EDU (David West) (02/02/88)

Let me be quite clear: in my earlier posting I intended to ridicule neither
Eric Drexler nor the idea of molecular machinery. I *did* intend to ridicule
the idea that meaningful simulation is possible in the absence of sufficient
knowledge and understanding of the system one is allegedly simulating.
-David West

craig@unicus.UUCP (Craig D. Hubley) (02/02/88)

>In article <8801180618.AA08132@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> GODDEN@gmr.COM writes:
>> [...] the book >Engines of Creation< by K. Eric Drexler of MIT. [...]
>>it is not necessary to first understand intelligence.  All one has to do is
>>simulate the brain [...] a complete hardware simulation of the brain can be
>>done [...] in the space of one cubic centimeter [...] h a machine could then
>>just be allowed to run and should be able to accomplish a man-year of
>>work in ten seconds.
>
>The breathtaking simplicity of the idea is awesome.  Of course, some
>technological advances will be necessary for its realization, but note that
>to attain them, it is not necessary to understand technology ... all one has
>to do is simulate its development.  A complete hardware simulation of the
>U.S. technological enterprise can be done in the space of one cubic meter
>(see appendix A) ... such a machine could then just be allowed to run, and
>should be able to accomplish a century of progress in one hour.

The bounding factor on progress thus becomes imagination.  One could
argue that this has always been the case anyway.  The human race's
primary occupation would then become dreaming up strange ideas for
it's computers to chew on, prove/disprove, design and build.
This seems almost natural, since our primary occupation has changed
over the past three hundred years from manual labour through
operating machines to moving information around.

The so-called `Third Wave' of information technologies has only
recently (within the last ten years) been widely recognized as such.
It seems that you only sees the waves as they wash over you.

Drexler's arguments, for those of you who haven't read the book,
are broadly-based and in places expressionistic, though his appendices
spell out in some detail his reasoning, and several chapters contain
a sort of `question and answer' section where what must be the most
commonly asked skeptical questions are themselves addressed.
This is an intriguing technique of `compressing discourse' that
more controversial books might benefit from, that is, an explicit
answer to questions that otherwise would nag and bias the reader.
If the answers are unsatisfactory, so be it.  At least they are
there to refute.

I think it noteworthy that I've seen Drexler's name and book mentioned
in several electronic and a few conversational forums, and not once
did I ever hear an argument that he didn't explicitly address in his book.
Nor have I heard a credible refutation of any of his points.  On the contrary,
I have heard nothing but enthusiastic recommendation of the book from those
who've read it and receptivity to the ideas from individuals qualified in
the specific fields concerned, from computing to molecular biology to
business.  Some of these individuals were very much skeptics at heart.

I guess I won't be comfortable until I hear somebody *flame* the damn book!

After all, it's annoying to have to just wait around wondering if I'll
ever be able to solve problems just by thinking of them, live forever
(barring accidents) in whatever environment I choose, and live in a
body fortified by a truly formidable defense and immune system.
If it's coming soon, I don't see much point in doing anything other than
working on it, for those of us in technical fields.  To solve the
pollution, resource, food problems at once as a side effect!

I'm afraid that reading this book puts truly big ideas into one's head.
Don't read it unless your head is big enough to contain them.  :-)
And won't *someone* please flame the book!!!

	Craig Hubley, Unicus Corporation, Toronto, Ont.
	craig@Unicus.COM				(Internet)
	{uunet!mnetor, utzoo!utcsri}!unicus!craig	(dumb uucp)
	mnetor!unicus!craig@uunet.uu.net		(dumb arpa)

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (02/11/88)

> ... such a machine could then just be allowed to run, and
>should be able to accomplish a century of progress in one hour.

I think we already do that, and have over the course of evolution managed
such a speedup several times.  No reason why it shouldn't happen again.
The building of structure (information, organization ...) is recursive.
The more you have, the easier it is to get more (a bit like money, come
to think of it, and for much the same reason).  BUT...humans will not
participate in this greatly augmented progress, any more than green algae
participate in human progress (except perhaps to be damaged by the side-
effects, analogous to pollution and destruction of habitat with which
we destroy those that have not shared our "progress").
--

Martin Taylor
...uunet!{mnetor|utzoo}!dciem!mmt