[comp.ai.digest] Query: Legal Reasoning in AI

gpearson%sdcsvax@spp3.UUCP (Glen Pearson) (02/23/88)

I heard of a conference on legal reasoning using AI techniques, but
I don't remember the time or place.  Can anyone out there give me
details?

Thanks much,

Glen
trwrb!spp!spp3!gpearson@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
1180 Kern Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
(408) 773-5021

thomas@gmdzi.UUCP (Thomas Gordon) (03/01/88)

From article <8802221953.AA23125@spp3.SPP>, by gpearson%sdcsvax@spp3.UUCP
(Glen Pearson):
> I heard of a conference on legal reasoning using AI techniques, but
> I don't remember the time or place.  Can anyone out there give me
> details?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Glen
> trwrb!spp!spp3!gpearson@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
> 1180 Kern Ave.
> Sunnyvale, CA 94086
> (408) 773-5021

The conference you are probably thinking of is the First International
Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Law, sponsored by the Center
for Law and Computer Science of Northeastern University and held in
Boston in May, 1987.   It was an ACM conference and the proceedings
are available from

	ACM Order Department
	P.O. Box 64145
	Baltimore, MD 21264

order number: 604870.

shs@RAMONES.RUTGERS.EDU (S. H. Schwartz) (03/02/88)

In article <8802221953.AA23125@spp3.SPP> spp3!gpearson (Glen Pearson) writes:
>I heard of a conference on legal reasoning using AI techniques...

The International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Law
(ICAIL-1) was held at Northeastern University in May 1987.
Proceedings are available from the ACM Order Department, Baltimore MD:
order number 604870.
--
                     *** QUESTION AUTHORITIES ***
                          Rashi, Rif, Maharal...

dave@lsuc.UUCP (03/03/88)

In article <8802221953.AA23125@spp3.SPP> spp3!gpearson (Glen Pearson) writes:
>I heard of a conference on legal reasoning using AI techniques, but
>I don't remember the time or place.  Can anyone out there give me
>details?

This was the First International Conference on Artificial Intelligence
and Law, held at Northeastern University in Boston, May 1987.
Carole Hafner of Northeastern was the local organizer. The proceedings
were published by the ACM (they were available for the conference).
Quite a range of papers was presented. (Mine was on programming the
Income Tax Act in Prolog.)

There were also two conferences held at the University of
Houston in 1984 and 1985, called the First and Second Annual
Conferences on Law and Technology.  They were organized by
Charles Walter.  The papers from the first conference were
published by West Publishing Company (St. Paul, Minn.) as
"Computing Power and Legal Reasoning", (Charles Walter, ed.),
1985, 871pp.  The papers from the second conference were never
published and can be found, as far as I know, only in the hands
of the people who attended.  (Some of them are labelled "draft -
not for publication or attribution".)

The West publication and the proceedings of the 1987 conference,
between them, are a pretty thorough overview of what's happening
in the world of AI and law.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave