[comp.ai.digest] AIList V6 #38 - Applications, Neuromorphic Tools, Nanotechnology

heirich@cs (Alan Heirich) (02/23/88)

AILIST #38 contained a summary of sources of neural network software.
They missed two important packages used in academic research:

* The Rochester Connectionist Simulator, available from the Computer Science
  Department of the University of Rochester.  A modifiable package, written
  in C.  Allows interactive design and use of neural networks using a variety
  of learning algorithms.  New algorithms can be easily coded in C.

* SunNet, available from the Institute for Cognitive Science, University of
  California San Diego.  A "closed" package, it includes a simple programming
  language that allows procedures to be written to implement learning
  algorithms.  Oriented toward back propagation learning, but can be extended
  to other types.  Superb graphics and very easy to use.

I believe that both of these packages are available for a nominal cost which
covers media and handling.  The Rochester simulator includes source code; I
don't know about SunNet, but it may well include the source.

- Alan Heirich (heirich@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu)

jem97@LEAH.ALBANY.EDU (Jim Mower) (03/03/88)

In article <8802221732.AA14122@beowulf.UCSD.EDU>, heirich@cs (Alan Heirich)
writes:
> * The Rochester Connectionist Simulator, available from the Computer Science
>   Department of the University of Rochester.  A modifiable package, written
>   in C...

Could someone from U of R post an article or send me a note concerning
the intent and capabilities of the Simulator?  Alan
mentioned that the simulator was being offered for a nominal fee.  How
does one go about ordering a copy?  Thanks.

Jim Mower, Dept. of Geography and Planning
University at Albany
jem97@leah.albany.edu  (internet)
jem97@albny1vx         (bitnet)