[comp.ai.digest] Uncertainty and FUZZY LOGIC VS PROBABILITY

creelman@dalcsug.UUCP (Paul Creelman) (03/01/88)

Subject: Uncertainty and FUZZY LOGIC VS PROBABILITY
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest

   There appears to be some discussion about uncertainty by Eric Neufeld
   and others. According to Spiegelhalter, the use of probability for
   representing uncertainty in expert systems is the wrong method. He says
   it  is inappropriate because uncertainty in knowledge does not match the
   chance mechanism of an observable event. It is unnecessary since no meaning
   must be attached to numbers, but instead the rank order of hypotheses is
   often all that matters in an expert system. Furthermore probability is
   somewhat impractical since it requires too many estimates of prior
   probabilities, fails to distinguish ignorance from uncertainty, and
   fails to provide an explanation of conclusions. I must agree. Down with
   probability!
   Surely what is needed is a simplified version of Shafer's evidence theory
   which deals with all possible subsets of the possible variable values, the
   frame of discernment. A number is associated with each subset which measures
   the certainty that the actual variable value is in that subset. Suppose we
   coarsen the uncertainty measure by reducing the number of subsets specified.
   While providing a measure of certainty for all subsets of values may be
   impractical, a system that uses only a limited number of these subsets
   could be very useful. If only there was a way of consistently updating
   certainty for such subsets! I wonder if additivity of the certainty measure
   is necessary. Perhaps a condition like c(B)> c(C) -> c(A+B) > c(A+C) where
   A B and C are disjoint subsets and + is set union. Of course, it is desirable
   to allow A B and C to have common elements as well. I hope this will
   stimulate discussion. For references, see
   William Gale,ed.,Artificial Intelligence and Statistics, Addison-Wesley
   Publishing Company,1986.

   L.N.Kanal,J.F.Lemmer,eds.,Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence,
   North-Holland,1986.

   Paul Creelman
   student
   Dalhousie University

   ZZ

emneufeld@watdragon.waterloo.EDU (Eric Neufeld) (03/07/88)

In article <8802291913.AA13911@dalcsug.UUCP> creelman@dalcsug.UUCP
(Paul Creelman) writes:

>Subject: Uncertainty and FUZZY LOGIC VS PROBABILITY
>Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
>
>   There appears to be some discussion about uncertainty by Eric Neufeld
>   and others. According to Spiegelhalter, the use of probability for
>   representing uncertainty in expert systems is the wrong method.

First favour I would like to ask of the net: Something has happened with
our news feed:  I have seen nothing of this controversy since my original
posting.  Would someone, possibly the moderator, be so kind as to mail me the
controversy?    [Done.  -- KIL]

To continue the discussion:

>   it  is inappropriate because uncertainty in knowledge does not match the
>   chance mechanism of an observable event. It is unnecessary since no meaning
>   must be attached to numbers, but instead the rank order of hypotheses is
>   often all that matters in an expert system.

I have heard Ben-Bassat say that even the rank ordering is unimportant in
*applications*.  Physicians want to know *possible* diagnoses, relative
strengths are what is important.  (My apologies to Dr. Ben-Basset if this is
incorrect.)  But so what?   That is an opinion.  Suppose rank ordering is
important as Spiegelhalter suggests.  The use of numbers in probability
theory can be viewed merely as a convention.  Nothing precludes the use of
probability as a way of deriving rank orderings.  One of my favourite papers
is Koopman's which eliminates the numbers (in the preamble) with the hope of
restoring the primal intuition of probability.  The numbers are later added
for consistency with the mathematical theory.

>Furthermore probability is
>   somewhat impractical since it requires too many estimates of prior
>   probabilities, fails to distinguish ignorance from uncertainty, and
>   fails to provide an explanation of conclusions. I must agree. Down with
>   probability!

You contradict yourself!  Probability tells us that it is not trivial to
distinguish ignorance from uncertainty.  Probability tells us that truth is
*independent* of explanation (i.e., given our knowledge of your symptoms,
the probability of disease X is 0.xx (or rank ordering 3) REGARDLESS OF THE
EXPLANATION or ARGUMENT used to get the diagnosis).  But that is not what
probability is for.  It is used to measure (relative) strength in an
argument.

>   Surely what is needed is a simplified version of Shafer's evidence theory
>   which deals with all possible subsets of the possible variable values, the
>   frame of discernment. A number is associated with each subset which measures
>   the certainty that the actual variable value is in that subset. Suppose we
>   coarsen the uncertainty measure by reducing the number of subsets specified.

I would say surely not!  Professor Kyburg has, more than a year ago, shown
that the theory of Dempster-Shafer is equivalent to an
interval-valued theory of probability, with some added statistical
assumptions.  That is not to say that the D-S model has no useful
applications.  I will take the liberty of paraphrasing Dr. Kyburg, who
concludes his article by saying that there is nothing wrong with variations
on the theory of probability containing such statistical assumptions, but
these assumptions should be in full view, up-front, for all to criticize
constructively.

--
.