[comp.ai.digest] conversations?

quale%si.uninett@TOR.NTA.NO (Kai Quale) (03/30/88)

ok2@psuvm.bitnet writes:
>     Hi, I'm trying to locate versions of PARRY and similar programs that
>simulate conversation with a human being (such as ELIZA and SHRDLU).
>     I do know that PARRY, which simulates conversing with a Paranoid person
>was written by  K.M. Colby, based on the information processing approach
>(of a paranoiac) of S.S. Tomkins.
>     Also, I know that SHRDLU, which simulates talking to and giving orders
>to a robot in a computer generated simulation, was written by Terry Winograd.
>[Rest deleted]

RACTER is another conversation program which can be run in
monologue (Essay, Poetry, Free prose, ...) or dialogue mode. I don't know
what kind of hardware it runs on; I have only read a book written by the
program : "The Policeman's Beard is Half Constructed". The book is packed
with poems and philosophical discussions between RACTER and its programmers,
and RACTER and itself. The real gem is a conversation between RACTER and ELIZA.
You wouldn't believe how quickly ELIZA is pressed into a corner, and starts
responding to everything with "Interesting" and "Please go on". The following
passage does not exist in the book (it's a long time since I read it), but may
serve as a taste of the general atmosphere :

R : I wonder intensely about the meaningfulness of a hamburger.

E : Have you felt this for a long time ?

R : Yes, it inhabits my mind like a clawed hippopotamus, never letting go.

E : I see.

R : Have you ever thought about the fundamental similarity of Bach and the
    color pink ?

E : Is this really what you want to see me about ?

R : Why do you ask such a prosaic question ? Don't you feel the organic
    wholeness of the world ? The singing of the celestial spheres ? Ah,
    what a state the world is coming to.

E : Please go on.

etc.

Kai Quale <quale%si.uninett@tor.nta.no>