[comp.ai.digest] Revenge at last!

JMC@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU (John McCarthy) (04/07/88)

In article <962@daisy.UUCP> klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) writes:

>Is AI just too expensive and too complicated for practical use?  I
>spent 3 years in the field and I'm beginning to think the answer is
>mostly yes.  In my opinion, all working AI programs are either toys or
>could have been developed much more cheaply using conventional
>techniques.

At last I get to use a retort that I thought of a half hour too late
almost 30 years ago.  After one of my first public lectures on LISP
in about 1960 in which I gave examples of algebraic computations,
someone in the back of the audience, I think his name might have
been Carl Peterson, said scornfully, "I could easily have programmed all
that in assembly language".  The retort should have been, "Well then,
why didn't you?"