[comp.ai.digest] Causal Models and Diagnosis

LRMC5128@BCIT.BITNET (04/28/88)

 To: AILIST00--$STRIPE. ailist/

 From: Craig Larman
 Subject: Causal Models and Diagnosis

 This is my first note - hope it gets through OK.

 The IntelliCorp (KEE) folks talk enthusiastically about "model based
 reasoning". They describe this as building a "causal model" of a system (e.g.
 a gas engine, a liver) and then extending it for various needs (simulation,
 diagnosis, training).

 As a programmer, I am interested in programming/technical answers or
 programming references to these questions:

 1. I think of a software "causal model" as defining relationships between
 components and their dependant inputs/outputs. Is this it? What programming
 hints or references can folks suggest that will help me learn to build such
 models? SMALLTALK, LISP, or PROLOG are the preferred languages.

 2. Assume I've built a causal model, HOW to build a DIAGNOSIS system from it?
 I can see simulation follows naturally, but how diagnosis?

 e-mail address: LRMC5128@BCIT on the NetNorth network (the Canadian arm
 of BitNet).

 Virtually,
 Craig Larman, 432-8629