[comp.ai.digest] Need info on new CMU sidewalk rover

jbn@GLACIER.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (04/28/88)

      I hear that CMU has a new autonomous vehicle, a sidewalk rover
like the Terregator, but improved.  Who is doing the work, and are there
any papers yet?

					John Nagle

gary%desi@UCSD.EDU (Gary Cottrell) (05/04/88)

In article <8804301216.AA23619@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> jbn@GLACIER.STANFORD.EDU
(John B. Nagle) writes:

>      I hear that CMU has a new autonomous vehicle, a sidewalk rover
>like the Terregator, but improved.  Who is doing the work, and are there
>any papers yet?
>
>					John Nagle

I don't know who is working on it, but I heard from a usually reliable
source that Dean Pomerleau (grad student at CMU, inventor of meta-connection
networks) has a 3-layer back-prop network driving the thing better than the
CMU vision group's system. Anyone care to confirm or deny this information?

gary cottrell
Computer Science and Engineering C-014
UCSD,
La Jolla, Ca. 92093
gary@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (ARPA)
{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcsvax!gary (USENET)
gwcottrell@ucsd.edu (BITNET)

Dean.Pomerleau@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (05/06/88)

In a recent post concerning autonomous land vehicle work at CMU, Gary
Cottrell writes:
>I don't know who is working on it, but I heard from a usually reliable
>source that Dean Pomerleau (grad student at CMU, inventor of meta-connection
>networks) has a 3-layer back-prop network driving the thing better than the
>CMU vision group's system. Anyone care to confirm or deny this information?
>
>gary cottrell

I am working on a project called ALVINN (for Autonomous Land Vehicle In a
Neural Network).  Currently ALVINN is quite proficient at driving on
simulated road sequences and a limited number of real roads stored on disk.
It hasn't been tested on the actual vehicle yet primarily because the van's
hardware is currently being upgraded but we are cautiously optimistic about
its ability to drive under field conditions.  However it is too early to make
a comparison between ALVINN and the current ALV implementation here at CMU.
A paper discussing the project is being submitted to the November Conference
on Neural Information Processing Systems in Denver.

Dean Pomerleau
Computer Science Dept.
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburg, PA 15213-3890