[comp.ai.digest] Gibber in AI, social sciences, etc.

SOWA@IBM.COM (John Sowa) (05/03/88)

I agree with the following comment by Thomas Maddox:

>                           ...anyone in such an inherently weak field
> should be rather careful in his criticism:  he's in the position of a
> man throwing bricks at passers-by through his own front window.

But I wish he would apply that remark to himself.  Just scan through
back issues of AI List to see the controversies, polemics, fads, and
fallacies.  The arguments between connectionists and representationalists
convey just as much heat and as little light as any argument between
Marxists and Freudians.  The dialog between LISPers and Prologers is no
more meaningful than the dialog between Catholics and Protestants in
Northern Ireland.

My position:  Every field has good people, dummies, charlatans, and
religious fanatics.  AI certainly has its share of all four types (and
sometimes the same person shifts position from one type to another).
The sociologist who was bashing AI was wrong, and so are the AI people
who bash the social scientists.  The human mind is the most difficult
subject of all, and we'll all learn more by approaching each other's
disciplines with a little sympathy than with a lot of loud polemics.

John Sowa

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (05/06/88)

In article <050388.124141.sowa@ibm.com>, SOWA@IBM.COM (John Sowa) writes:
> The dialog between LISPers and Prologers is no
> more meaningful than the dialog between Catholics and Protestants in
> Northern Ireland.
> John Sowa

Er, just what dialogue between LISPers and Prologers are you talking about?
Here at Quintus (makers of the finest Prolog system in the known Universe)
our attitude to Lisp is "what good ideas can we steal".  I refer to my copy
of CLtL about once a day.  ZYX like Lisp so much they've even imitated its
syntax.  Sussex (makers of PopLog) think the great thing about their product
is _very_ close coupling between Lisp, Prolog, and Pop.  I suspect that
someone who argues for (Lisp|Prolog) on the grounds that (Prolog|Lisp) is
bad doesn't understand either.