[comp.ai.digest] seminar announcement

AIList-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (AIList Moderator Nick Papadakis) (05/24/88)

Date:    Mon, 16 May 88 11:55:08 PDT
From:     CHIN%PLU@ames-io.ARPA
Subject: seminar announcement
To:       ailist@stripe.sri.com

              National Aeronautics and Space Administration
                         Ames Research Center

                        SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

SPEAKER:   Balas Natarajan
           Carnegie-Mellon University

TOPIC:     "Towards Learning Algorithms"

ABSTRACT:

This talk concerns two paradigms for "learning algorithms".

First, we consider learning in the sense of acquiring new information -
specifically, extracting a good approximation to an unknown set from examples
for the set.  After formalising the problem, we give a theorem identifying
conditions necessary and sufficient for such learning to be efficient.  We also
present smooth extensions of these results to functions (as opposed to sets) on
discrete and continuous domains.

Second, we consider learning in the sense of improving computational
efficiency - specifically, constructing good heuristics for a problem
from solved examples.  After formalising the problem, we give a theorem
identifying conditions sufficient to allow the construction of provably
good heuristics for a collection of problems.

BIOGRAPHY:

Balas K. Natarajan is a Research Scientist at the Robotics
Institute, Carnegie Mellon University. He received his Ph.D. in
computer science from Cornell University in 1986. Currently his
major research interests include both formal and applied
methods in Machine Learning and Robotics.

DATE: Monday,       TIME: 3:00 - 4:00 pm     BLDG. 244   Room 103
      May 23, 1988           --------------

POINT OF CONTACT: Marlene Chin   PHONE NUMBER: (415) 694-6525
     NET ADDRESS: chin%plu@ames-io.arpa

VISITORS ARE WELCOME: Register and obtain vehicle pass at Ames Visitor
Reception Building (N-253) or the Security Station near Gate 18.  Do not
use the Navy Main Gate.

Non-citizens (except Permanent Residents) must have prior approval from the
Director's Office one week in advance.  Submit requests to the point of
contact indicated above.  Non-citizens must register at the Visitor
Reception Building.  Permanent Residents are required to show Alien
Registration Card at the time of registration.