[comp.ai.digest] the free will discussion

AIList-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (AIList Moderator Nick Papadakis) (05/25/88)

Date: 22 May 88  0644 PDT
From: John McCarthy <JMC@SAIL.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: the free will discussion
To:   ailist@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

Here are the meta remarks promised in my previous message
giving my substantive views.  I hope the moderator will put
them in an issue subsequent to the one including the substantive
views.

There are three ways of improving the world.
(1) to kill somebody
(2) to forbid something
(3) to invent something new.

During World War II, (1) was appropriate, and it has occasionally
been appropriate since, but, in the main it's not appropriate now,
and few people's ideas for improvement take this form.  However,
there may be more people in category (2) than in category (3).
Gilbert Cockton seems to be firmly in category (2), and I can't
help regarding him as a minor menace with his proposals that
institutions suppress AI research.  At least the menace is minor
as long as Mrs. Thatcher is around; I wouldn't be surprised if
Cockton could persuade Tony Benn.

I would like to deal substantively with his menacing proposals, but
I find them vague and would prefer to respond  to precise criteria
of what should be suppressed, how they are regarded as applying
to AI, and what forms of suppression he considers legitimate.

I find much of the discussion ignorant of considerations and references
that I regard as important, but different people have different ideas of
what information should be taken into account.  I have read enough of
the sociological discussion of AI to have formed the opinion that it
is irrelevant to progress and wrong.  For example, views that seem
similar to Cockton's inhabit a very bad and ignorant book called "The
Question of Artificial Intelligence" edited by Stephen Bloomfield, which I
will review for "Annals of the History of Computing".  The ignorance is
exemplified by the fact the more than 150 references include exactly one
technical paper dated 1950, and the author gets that one wrong.

The discussion of free will has become enormous, and I imagine
that most people, like me, have only skimmed most of the material.
I am not sure that the discussion should progress further, but if
it does, I have a suggestion.  Some neutral referee, e.g. the moderator,
should nominate principal discussants.  Each principal discussant should
nominate issues and references.  The referee should prune the list
of issues and references to a size that the discussants are willing
to deal with.  They can accuse each other of ignorance if they
don't take into account the references, however perfunctorily.
Each discussant writes a general statement and a point-by-point
discussion of the issues at a length limited by the referee in
advance.  Maybe the total length should be 20,000 words,
although 60,000 would make a book.  After that's done we have another
free-for-all.  I suggest four as the number of principal discussants
and volunteer to be one, but I believe that up to eight could
be accomodated without making the whole thing too unwieldy.
The principal discussants might like help from their allies.

The proposed topic is "AI and free will".

   [Editorial note - This seems very reasonable to me