[comp.ai.digest] Pointers to Social Theory

AIList-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (AIList Moderator Nick Papadakis) (05/25/88)

From: Gilbert Cockton <gilbert%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 16 May 88 14:10:30 BST
To: ailist@kl.sri.com
Subject: Pointers to Social Theory

	I recall someone asking for references on criticisms of
	Systems Theory, presumably in social theory.

	The best place to start is with any of Anthony Giddens work.
	He's been prolific on social theory since the 1970s, and I can't
	recommend any particular one of his books.  Giddens addresses Systems
	Theory as one of many candidate underpinnings for social theory.

	Criticisms of the Systems Perspective (and Talcott-Parson's related
	Functionalism, hopefully not the only social theory Americans have
	encountered) will be found in most theoretical discussions of Social
	Theory, but if you can't lay your hands on anything by Giddens, do try
	to find something from the European tradition, because this is where
	most modern social theory has originated.

	Given the detachment of the Anglo-Saxon logical and empiricist
	traditions (which dominate much US/UK philosophy) from continental
	philosphy and social theory, many readers may find contemporary social
	theory dense and inpenetrable.  Be warned, it is not written according
	to the tenets of technical writing, and has to be read actively.
	Giddens later work will probably be the easiest for beginners.
	(I saw someone cite Lucy Suchman's book in the comp.ai debate - if you
	 can handle the language there, you should be OK with other
	 social theory).

	If anyone is put off reading social theory because of the
	language, think how Godel/Montague comes across to a sociologist!