[comp.ai.digest] Free Will & Self Awareness

AIList-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (AIList Moderator Nick Papadakis) (05/25/88)

Date: 9 May 88 10:52:56 GMT
From: bwk@mitre-bedford.arpa  (Barry W. Kort)
Subject: Re: Free Will & Self Awareness [AIList Digest   V7 #4]

I was doing fine reading Cliff's rejoinder to Lloyd's comments until
I came to this part:

>>We can't demonstrate true randomness in present day computers;
>>the closest we can come (to my knowledge) is to generate a string
>>of numbers which does not repeat itself. [Lloyd]

>This is not possible in a von Neumann machine. [Cliff]

I was under the impression that a simple recursion (or not-so-simple
if one is a fan of Ramanujan) can emit the digits of pi (or e or
SQRT(2)) and that such a string does not repeat itself.

I think what Cliff meant is that a von Neumann machine cannot emit
a string whose structure cannot be divined.

If I wanted to give my von Neumann machine a *true* random number
generator, I would connect it to an A/D converter driven by thermal
noise (i.e. a toasty resister).

--Barry Kort

------------------------------

AIList-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (AIList Moderator Nick Papadakis) (05/25/88)

Date: 9 May 88 21:05:14 GMT
From: bwk@mitre-bedford.arpa  (Barry W. Kort)

Perhaps it would help if I offered a straw proposal for invoking one's
free will in a specific situation.

Assume that I possess a value system which permits me to rank my
personal preferences regarding the likely outcome of the courses
of action open to me.  Suppose, also, that I have a (possibly crude)
estimate of your value system.  If I were myopic (or maybe just stupid)
I would choose my course of action to maximize my payoff without regard
to you.  But my knowledge of your value system creates an interesting
opportunity for me.  I can use my imagination to conceive a course
of action which increases both of our utility functions.  Free will
empowers me to choose a Win-Win alternative.  Without free will, I am
predestined to engage in acts that hurt others.  Since I disvalue hurting
others, I thank God that I am endowed with free will.

Is there a flaw in the above line of reasoning?  If so, I would be
grateful to someone for pointing it out to me.

--Barry Kort