[comp.ai.digest] non-AI theories about symbols

NICK@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (Nick Papadakis) (05/27/88)

Date: Wed, 11 May 88 17:18 EDT
From: Conrad Bock <BOCK@INTELLICORP.ARPA>
Subject: non-AI theories about symbols
To: ailist@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

For those interested in non-AI theories about symbols, the following is
a very quick summary of Freud and Marx.

In Freud, the prohibition on incest forces children to express their
sexuality through symbolic means.  Sexual desire is repressed in the
unconscious, leaving the symbols to be the center of people's attention.
People begin to be concerned with things for which there seems no
justification.

Marx observed that the act of exchanging objects in an economy forces us
to abstract from our individual labors to a symbol of labor in general
(money).  The abstraction becomes embodied in capital, which people
constantly try to accumulate, forgetting about the value of the products
themselves.

Both Marx and Freud use term `fetish' to refer to the process in which
symbols (of sex and labor) begin to form systems that operate
autonomously.  In Freud's fetishism, someone may be obsessed with feet
instead of actual love; in Marx, people are interested in money instead
of actual work.  In both cases, we lose control of something of our own
creation (the symbol) and it dominates us.

Conrad Bock
-------