Date: Sat, 14 May 88 12:12:00 -0700
From: AIList Moderator Nick Papadakis <AIList-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU>
Subject: New address

	Just a reminder - the correct address to use for postings to
AIList is now: AILIST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

	Note the *repetition* of the .AI part! Administrative requests
should go to AILIST-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

	Please bear with me these first few weeks, as the changeover is
not likely to be painless ...

		- nick

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 May 88 12:12:00 -0700
From: "Karl B. Schwamb" <Schwamb@ics.UCI.EDU>
Subject: Query: 3K Regularities of Human Cognition?

In a recent article, Allen Newell stated that there are 3000 regularities
of human cognition.  Does anyone know a reference where a list of these
may be found?

-Karl

------------------------------

Date: 9 May 88 02:02:29 GMT
From: quintus!ok@unix.sri.com  (Richard A. O'Keefe)
Subject: Re: Explorer (vs. Sun) Experience ?

In article <9457@sol.ARPA>, miller@ACORN.CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller) writes:
> Most importantly, a lispm does not distinguish between the 'user' and the
> 'kernel'. Everyone is one big happy address space.

Which is to say:  one fall down, ALL fall down.
Don't lispm users ever make mistakes?

------------------------------

Date: 9 May 88 02:02:29 GMT
From: hall@alpha.ece.jhu.edu

Nah, we just call it a feature.  :-)
Seriously though, remember that lispm's are single user machines, so even if
you REALLY mess up and the system's debugging facilities can't save you (they
usually can - my Symbolics debugging aids are many times more powerful/helpful
than those on Lucid CL on my Sun) - even if you have to reboot, you don't kill
anyone else.
                        - Marty Hall
--
ARPA (preferred) - hall@alpha.ece.jhu.edu [hopkins-eecs-alpha.arpa]
UUCP   - ..seismo!umcp-cs!jhunix!apl_aimh | Bitnet  - apl_aimh@jhunix.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 9 May 88 13:40:35 GMT
From: trwrb!aero!venera.isi.edu!smoliar@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU
      (Stephen Smoliar)
Subject: Re: Reasoning by Analogy

In article <1533@csvax.liv.ac.uk> stian@csvax.liv.ac.uk writes:
>Does anyone know of any work done on reasoning by analogy. Any references
>received gratefully.

Dedre Gentner
Mechniamss of Analogical Learning
Report No. UIUCDCS-R-87-1381
Department of Computer Science
Urbana, Illinois

Author's address:
Dr. Dedre Gentner
Department of Psychology
University of Illinois
603 E. Daniel
Champaign, Illinois  61820

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 88 01:52:38 GMT
From: news@galaxy.rutgers.edu (News)
Subject: Re: Decision Theory in AI. (Judea Pearl's Influence Diag)

I wonder if somebody could mail me some info. on where I could get
literature on Judea Pearl's Infl.Diag ?  Thanks.
From: subraman@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Ramesh Subramanian)

(Ramesh Subramanian               email (uucp):...!rutgers!andromeda!subraman
101 Bleeker St. Box#85           voice: (201) 565-9290.
Newark, NJ 07102.)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 May 88 20:21:51 PDT
From: trwrb!smpvax1!sdl@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

I am trying to compare Gemstone and Vbase which are object oriented
databases.  Does anyone have experience with both systems?

I would also like to know if there is a mailing list for either
object oriented systems or databases.

Thanks.

Daniel Lee
Inference Corporation
ucbvax!trwrb!smpvax1!sdl

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 88 17:27:27 GMT
From: vrdxhq!daitc!viusys!gabe@umd5.umd.edu  (Gabe Nault)
Subject: ai languages on unix wanted

I am starting a Master's thesis and am interested in finding
an artifical intelligence language that either runs under Unix or
can be ported to a Unix system. I hope to be able to find something
more than lisp or xlisp. I have heard of a language called STAR, which
is originally from NASA. The problem is that they want $2000 for this
software, (and you thought that all government sponsored software was
public domain). If anyone knows of any languages such as this or perhaps
a prolog that runs on UNIX please let me know.
        Thanks in advance
        Gabe Nault

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 88 17:27:27 GMT
From: osu-cis!dsacg1!mgiven

One language that you could consider is CLIPS, a forward-chaining language
implemented in C which is available from COSMIC (at the Univ. of Georgia,
404-542-3265).  It was developed for NASA.
--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency ,DSAC-TMP, P.O. Box 1605,
            Systems Automation Center, Columbus, OH 43216-5002

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 May 88 15:39 EDT
From: John Watkins <jwatkins@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Re: how to recognize a chinese character

    In article <527@vmucnam.UUCP> daniel@vmucnam.UUCP (Daniel Lippmann) writes:
    >is there anybody knowing some computer-method to analize
    >a chinese character to find his place in a dictionnary ?

There are several standard indexing techniques used in Chinese
dictionaries to look up the meaning of a Chinese character. The four I
am familiar with are:

1.pronunciation - Not useful here.

2.stroke count - Each "brush stroke" is counted. A table ordered by the
total number of strokes used to write the character is referred to that
gives an index value for the location of the character in the
dictionary. The table is divided by total number of strokes and then
further divided by one of the other techniques mentioned here. Aside
from total number of brush strokes, there is one variation of this
where the first stroke forms the first index value and the remaining
strokes form a second index value.

3.radical/residual - I believe this is the most common for frequent
usage. Each character is composed of a radical and a residual. The
radical is composed of several strokes. Generally the radicals are
arranged in ascending order of the number of strokes used in writing
them. Characters are ordered within each radical grouping
according to the count of the remaining strokes used to write the
character.

4"boxes" - This is the technique with which I am least familiar. I
believe it was used in one of the Yale dictionaries. As I recall it was
based upon dividing up the character into four boxes. The starting
stroke in each box was used as a partial index to the character.

If any of these is of interest I suggest looking through a good library
at a university with a Chinese language department.

The real problem lies in recognizing what is and what is not a correct
"brush stroke". I do not know of any work in this area. Perhaps others
will have suggestions.

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 88 23:22:11 GMT
From: amdahl!apple!pz@ames.arpa  (Peter Zukoski)
Subject: Info wanted on commercial products started at a university

Howdy -
I'm trying to find commercially successful computer products that were begun in
university research. Some examples might be NuBus, or Ingres.
I'm interested in the success (or failure) of technology transfer between
universities and industry. If you know anything about the way the product
was transferred, that is "How did it begin?", "How did it move out of
the university?", "What made it a successful transfer?", etc. that will
be wonderful. One of the theories I'm investigating is:
"Is it the technology which makes it successful, or is it the people/researchers
involved that make it successful?" For instance, with NuBus, the research
team from MIT went to Western Digital to continue work on the product, and it
was their presence which greatly helped make NuBus a viable product.

If you have examples, history, and opinions on technology transfer issues they
will be most welcome.

Please forward this if you know of anyone expert in this area.

Thanks in advance.
Please mail responses. If you're interested in any results, let me know, and
I'll forward them to you, or post if enough interest is shown.

peter "does a dogma have the buddhist nature" z

I demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

CSNET:   pz@apple.COM
UUCP :   {sun,amdahl,nsc,dual}!apple!pz
SNAIL:   20600 Mariani MS/22C Cupertino CA 95014
BELL :   (408)973-2920 / (408)356-9133

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 May 88 17:13:05 PDT
From: lambert@cod.nosc.mil (David R. Lambert)
Subject: analogical reasoning

See books and reports (1980's) by Dr. Dedre Gentner, who is doing current
research in analogical reasoning at University of Illinois, Dept of
Psychology, 603 E. Daniel St., Champaign, IL 61820.

David R. Lambert, PhD
Email:  lambert@nosc.mil

------------------------------

Date: 11 May 88 04:46:38 GMT
From: munnari!phadfa.adfa.oz.au!lee@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Lee )
Subject: wanted expert program "AM" source

I was after the source code for a program called "AM"
This program was written by Lenat & Davis.  Can anyone help
me by either sending the source code my email, or telling me where I may
get a copy?

Please send all replies to

shaw@eeadfa.ee.adfa.oz   ACSNET Address

or

Brian Shaw
GPO Box 2389
Canberra 2601
Australia

(rather than the owner of this account)
--
Mail: Bill Lee, Dept. Electrical & Electronic Engineering, University College,
UNSW, ADFA, Canberra. 2600.  Phone:  (062) 68 8193,  Telex:  ADFADM AA62030,

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 May 88 21:02:48 PDT
From: John B. Nagle <jbn@glacier.stanford.edu>
Subject: TV systems for mobile robots

      I'd like to hear about experience with various cameras and radio links
used with mobile robots.  I'm interested in units suitable for a small,
high-speed vehicle in which the vision processing is offboard.

      The ideal device, as pointed out by Russell Anderson in "A Robot
Ping-Pong Player", is a CCD frame-transfer image sensor, since with such
devices the entire frame is acquired as a unit and no artifacts of the
scanning process appear in the image.  Examples of such parts are the
Sanyo LC99xx series.  (The Fisher-Price Toy Camcorder and Lionel
Loco-Vision use the LC9943, a low-resolution part from this line.
There are higher resolution parts in the same family.)
Is a minature TV camera using such a sensor with at least 250x250 resolution
available yet?

      Next best is a CCD line-transfer image sensor.  The better Pulnix
units have these, and many robotic groups use them.  What is the experience
with these?

      The Sony Watchcam is a low-cost alternative.  Any experience here?

      What about TV transmitters and receivers?  I've seen a few TV Genie
units around, but not only are they weak, they're illegal.  But they do
sbow that such a transmitter need not be large, and there are bands in
which one can obtain appropriate licences.  I do need something
about that size, though, say 4x2x2 or smaller.   Is there such a thing
as FM TV gear, to improve the noise immunity?

      Has anyone dealt with the problem of camera stabilization and vibration
isolation in a moving vehicle?  The Steadicam gyro approach seems overkill.
Sorbothane shock mounting is easy enough to do, but is it enough to get
clear single frames?  Has anyone tried using data from accelerometers
and rate gyros to stabilize an image electronically?

      Has anyone tried sending data back from a robot in the audio carrier
of a TV signal or in the vertical retrace interval?  If so, with what hardware?

      Yes, I know it's a hard, ugly problem.

                                        John Nagle

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 88 15:49:58 GMT
From: bigburd.PRC.Unisys.COM!judy@burdvax.prc.unisys.com  (Judy P.
      Clark)
Subject: Machine Design for Testability References

Several weeks ago someone asked for references on the application of
AI techniques to testability in VLSI design.  I only saw one response to
that request and would be interested in receiving a summary if there were
more.

However, what I am more interested in is information on design for
testability of entire machines or systems.  Does anyone know of any
references?

Thanks in advance,

Judy Clark
judy@prc.unisys.com

Judy Clark                judy@prc.unisys.com
Unisys Defense Systems
PO Box 517
Paoli, PA 19301

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 88 18:55:39 GMT
From: trwrb!aero!abbott@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU  (Russell J. Abbott)
Subject: Proof Checker Wanted

Does anyone have or know of a public domain, free, or cheap proof
checker that can be used by undergraduates to write and check simple
proofs.  I'm teaching an automata theory and formal languages course,
and the students are having a hard time formalizing their thinking.  It
would be nice if they could practice with an automated proof checker.

A simple example problem is: prove that all strings in the set denoted
by the regular expression (01 + 10)* have the same number of 0's as 1.
The proof is straightforward by induction on the length of the string.

The proof checker should have built into it knowledge of set notation,
i.e., {X | p(X)}, strings, and of inductive proofs.  It should also have
a basic knowledge of simple arithmetic.  Of course it also needs to be
able to use results that are proved earlier or given to it as axioms.

Thanks,

-- Russ Abbott

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 88 18:55:39 GMT
From: mcnc!ecsvax!rgn

I would also be interested in a proof checker for possible use in
an Intro. to Theoretical Computer Science course.

Thanks,
Rob
--
Rob Norris
Dept. of Math Sciences     UUCP:      ...!mcnc!ecsvax!rgn

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 88 18:55:39 GMT
From: rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu

There are proof checkers (as well as proof givers) for both propositional
and predicate-logic natural-deduction systems in:

Schagrin, Morton L.; Rapaport, William J.; & Dipert, Randall D. (1985)
Logic:  A Computer Approach (New York:  McGraw-Hill).

Software for them are available from:

LCA Software
c/o Prof. Randall R. Dipert
Department of Philosophy
State University College
Fredonia, NY 14063
                                        William J. Rapaport
                                        Assistant Professor

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo             ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260        ||uucp: {decvax,watmath,rutgers}!sunybcs!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 88 21:23:18 GMT
From: pyramid!prls!philabs!sbcs!dji@decwrl.dec.com  (the dirty vicar)
Subject: Book Rec Wanted (Thm Proving)

Thanks to all who responded to my request for suggested books on
resolution-based theorem proving.  Sorry, but I didn't get a chance
to respond to all personally.  Anyway, here are the results, for
those who are interested.  Almost all the votes were for one or
both of the following two books (and they got about equal numbers
of votes):

_Automated Reasoning: Introduction and Applications_
        by Wos, Overbeek, Lusk, and Boyle
        Prentice-Hall 1984

_Symbolic Logic and Mechanical Theorem Proving_
        by Chang and Lee
        Academic Press 1973

also got a few votes for:

_Computer Modelling of Mathematical Reasoning_
        by Allan Bundy
        Academic Press 1983

                                Thanks again
                                        the vic

Dave Iannucci \ Dept of Computer Science \ SUNY at Stony Brook, Long Island, NY
ARPA-Internet: dji@sbcs.sunysb.edu / CSNet: dji@suny-sb / ICBM: 40 55 N 73 08 W
UUCP: {allegra, philabs, pyramid, research}!sbcs!dji or ....bpa!sjuvax!iannucci

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 May 88 17:59:13 PDT
From: Edward Feigenbaum <FEIGENBAUM@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: update on Fifth Generation

Re: the query about "The Fifth Generation":

In chapter 10 of a new book by McCorduck, Nii, and me (The Rise of the
Expert Company, Times Books, forthcoming in August at AAAI), we attempt to
update the status of the Japanese Fifth Generation project. The basis for this
is routine reading of 5G technical papers, and one long interview in
December of 1986 with Dr. Fuchi and other friends at ICOT, The update is
short, and is intended for the same general audience that read the book
The Fifth Generation.

Ed Feigenbaum

------------------------------

Date: Thu 12 May 88 18:19:20-PDT
From: HOSEIN@PLUTO.ARC.NASA.GOV
Subject: SOAR graphics

                Marc P. Hosein
                Intelligent Systems Technology Branch
                NASA Ames Research Center
                Mail Stop 244-4
                Moffett Field, CA.  94035
                (415) 694-6526

        TO: Neural Network and Connectionist Researchers

     Thank you for responding to my previous request for information letter.
The response has been tremendous!  I have received many neural network
papers and have been in the process of studying them over the past few months.
I have chosen several of the connectionist models for use in my poster,
but I am now in need of some color.  That is, I am looking for

        1) Color photographs associated with your work.

        2) Videos of demos or research models being studied.

Any videos or pictures would be very helpful.  I would much appreciate
speedy correspondence as the SOAR conference will be held July 20-23.
Thank you for your time and consideration.  Please feel free to
call me at (415) 694-6526 or send mail on the arpanet to
HOSEIN@AMES-PLUTO.ARPA if you have any questions.

Again, I can not thank you enough for the papers I have already received.

                                        Thank you, Marc P. Hosein

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

NICK@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (Nick Papadakis) (05/27/88)

Date: Mon, 16 May 88 13:29 EDT
From: hayes.pa@Xerox.COM
Subject: Re: AIList Digest   V7 #1
To: AIList@AI.AI.MIT.EDU
cc: hayes.pa@Xerox.COM

I was fascinated by the correspondence between Gabe Nault and Mott Given in
vol7#1, concerning "an artifical intelligence language ... something more than
lisp or xlisp."    Can anyone suggest a list of features which a programming
language must have which would qualify it as an "artificial intelligence
language"  ?

Pat Hayes