[comp.ai.digest] this is philosophy ??!!?

NICK@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (Nick Papadakis) (05/27/88)

Date: Wed, 4 May 88 10:28 EDT
From: M.BRILLIANT <attcan!houdi!marty1@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Re: this is philosophy ??!!?
Sender: ailist-request@ai.ai.mit.edu
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu

In article <1588@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, Anurag Acharya writes:
> In article crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> Gilbert Cockton writes:
> > Your system should prevaricate, stall, duck the
> >issue, deny there's a problem, pray, write to an agony aunt, ask its
> >mum, wait a while, get its friends to ring it up and ask it out ...
>
> Whatever does all that stuff have to do with intelligence per se ?

Pardon me for abstracting out of context.  Also for daring to comment
when I am not an AI researcher, only an engineer waiting for a useful
result.

But I see that as an illuminating bit of dialogue.  Cockton wants to
emulate the real human decision maker, and I cannot say with certainty
that he's wrong.  Acharya wants to avoid the pitfalls of human
fallibility, and I cannot say with certainty that he's wrong either.

I wish we could see these arguments as a conflict between researchers
who want to model the human mind, and researchers who want to make more
useful computer programs.  Then we could acknowledge that both schools
belong in AI, and stop arguing over which should drive out the other.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houdi!marty1

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
            explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

NICK@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (Nick Papadakis) (05/27/88)

Date: Mon, 9 May 88 10:12 EDT
From: Stephen Smoliar <trwrb!aero!venera.isi.edu!smoliar@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>
Sender: ailist-request@ai.ai.mit.edu
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu

In article <May.6.18.48.07.1988.29690@cars.rutgers.edu> byerly@cars.rutgers.edu
(Boyce Byerly ) writes:

>Perhaps the logical deduction of western philosophy needs to take a
>back seat for a bit and let less sensitive, more probalistic
>rationalities drive for a while.

I have a favoire paper which I always like to recommend when folks like Boyce
propose putting probabilistic reasoning "in the driver's seat:"

	Alvan R. Feinstein
	Clinical biostatistics XXXIX.  The haze of Bayes, the aerial palaces
		of decision analysis, and the computerized Ouija board.
	CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY AND THERAPUTICS
	Vol. 21, No. 4
	pp. 482-496

This is an excellent (as well as entertaining) exposition of many of the
pitfalls of such reasoning written by a Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology
at the Yale University School of Medicine.  I do not wish this endorsement to
be interpreted as a wholesale condemnation of the use of probabilities . . .
just a warning that they can lead to just as much trouble as an attempt to
reduce the entire world of first-order predicate calculus.  We DEFINITELY
need abstractions better than such logical constructs to deal with issues
such as uncertainty and belief, but it is most unclear that probability
theory is going to provide those abstractions.  More likely, we should
be investigating the shortcomings of natural deduction as a set of rules
which represent the control of reasoning and consider, instead, possibilities
of alternative rules, as well as the possibility that there is no one rule
set which is used universally but that different sets of rules are engaged
under different circumstances.

NICK@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (Nick Papadakis) (05/27/88)

Date: Thu, 12 May 88 15:18 EDT
From: Anurag Acharya <centro.soar.cs.cmu.edu!acha@pt.cs.cmu.edu>
Sender: ailist-request@ai.ai.mit.edu
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu

In article <86@edai.ed.ac.uk> rjc@edai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley) writes:
>> Imagine Mr. Cockton, you are standing on the 36th floor of a building
>> and you and your mates decide that you are Superman and can jump out
>> without getting hurt.
>Then there is something going wrong in the negotiations within the
group!!

Oh, yes! There definitely is! But it is still is a "negotiation" and it
is "social"!. Since 'reality' and 'truth' are being defined as
"negotiated outcomes of social processes", there are no constraints on
what these outcomes may be. I can see no reason why a group couldn't
conclude that ( esp. since physical world constraints are not
necessarilly a part of these "negotiations").

>Saying that Y is the result of process X does not imply that any result
>from X is a valid Y. In particular 'reality is the outcome
>of social negotiation' does not imply that "real world" (whatever that is)
>constraints do not have an effect.

Do we have "valid" and "invalid" realities around ?

>If we decided that I was Superman then presumably there is good evidence
>for that assumption, since it is pretty hard to swallow. _In_such_a_case_
>I might jump. Being a careful soul I would probably try some smaller drops
>first!

Why would it be pretty hard to swallow ? And why do you need "good"
evidence ?  For that matter, what IS good evidence - that ten guys (
possibly deranged or malicious ) say so ? Have you thought why would you
consider getting some real hard data by trying out smaller drops ? It is
because Physical World just won't go away and the only real evidence
that even you would accept are actual outcomes of physical events.
Physical world is the final arbiter of "reality" and "truth" no matter
what process you use to decide on your course of action.

>To say you would not jump would be to say that you would not accept that
>you were Superman no matter _how_ good the evidence.

If you accept consensus of a group of people as "evidence", does the
degree of goodness depend on the number of people, or what ?

> Unless you say that the
>concept of you being Superman is impossible ( say logically inconsistent with
>your basic assumptions about the world ), which is ruled out by the
>presuppositions of the example ( since if this was so you would never come
>to the consensus that you were him ), then you _must_ accept that sufficient
>evidence would cause you to believe and hence be prepared to jump.

Ah, well.. if you reject logical consistency as a valid basis for
argument then you could come to any conclusion/consensus in the world
you please - you could conclude that you (simultaneously) were and were
not Superman! Then, do you jump out or not ? ( or maybe teeter at the
edge :-)) On the other hand, if you accept logical consistency as a
valid basis for argument - you have no need for a crowd to back you up.

Come on, does anyone really believe that if he and his pals reach a consensus on
some aspect of the world - the world would change to suit them ? That is the
conclusion I keep getting out of all these nebulous and hazy stuff about
'reality' being a function of 'social processes'.
--
Anurag Acharya		      Arpanet: acharya@centro.soar.cs.cmu.edu

"There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're
 talking about"   -- John von Neumann