[comp.ai.digest] free will and introspection

NICK@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (Nick Papadakis) (05/28/88)

Date: Wed, 25 May 88 16:30 EDT
From: Conrad Bock <BOCK@INTELLICORP.ARPA>
Subject: Re: free will and introspection
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu

For those interested in non-AI theories about symbols, the following is
a very quick (and only slightly incorrect) summary of Freud and Marx.

In Freud, the prohibition on incest forces children to express their
sexuality through symbolic means.  Sexual desire is repressed in the
unconscious, leaving the symbols to be the center of people's attention.
People begin to be concerned with things for which there seems no
justification.

Marx observed that the act of exchanging objects in an economy forces us
to abstract from our individual labors to a symbol of labor in general
(money).  The abstraction becomes embodied in capital, which people
constantly try to accumulate, forgetting about the value of the products
themselves.

Both Marx and Freud use term `fetish' to refer to the process in which
symbols (of sex and labor) begin to form systems that operate
autonomously.  In Freud's fetishism, someone may be obsessed with
looking at the opposite sex instead of actual love; in Marx, people are
interested in money instead of actual work.  In both cases, we lose
control of something of our own creation (the symbol) and it dominates
us.

In both Freud and Marx, these processes operate unconsciously.  The
notion of an unconscious (both Freudian and Marxian) bears directly on
our free will and trust in our perceptions, but not as absolutes.  It
presents a different challenge than ``do we have it or do we not''.  We
are partially free, but can become more free through an understanding of
unconscious processes.  It's the same as becoming more ``free'' by being
able to manipulate our physical environment, except that the unconscious
refers to our psychical environment.
-------