[comp.ai.digest] denial presupposes free will

NICK@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (Nick Papadakis) (06/04/88)

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 88 16:15 EDT
From: Bruce E. Nevin <bnevin@cch.bbn.com>
Subject: denial presupposes free will
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu
cc: bn@cch.bbn.com

DH> AIList Digest 7.13
DH> From: oodis01!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!dharvey@tis.llnl.gov  (David
DH>       Harvey)
DH> Subject: Re: More Free Will

DH> While it is rather disturbing (to me at least) that we may not be
DH> responsible for our choices, it is even more disturbing that by our
DH> choices we are destroying the world.  For heaven's sake, Reagan and
DH> friends for years banned a Canadian film on Acid Rain because it was
DH> political propaganda.  Never mind the fact that we are denuding forests
DH> at an alarming rate.

You ought to read Gregory Bateson on the inherently adverse effects of
human purposive behavior.  He develops the theme in several of the
papers and lectures reprinted in _Steps to an Ecology of Mind_,
especially in the last section on social and ecological issues.

DH> . . . if we with our free will (you said it,
DH> not me) aren't doing such a great job it is time to consider other
DH> courses of action.  By considering them, we are NOT adopting them as
DH> some religious dogma, but intelligently using them to see what will
DH> happen.

Awfully hard to deny the existence of free will without using language
that presupposes its existence.  Consider your use of "consider,"
"adopt," "intelligently using," and "see what will happen."  This sounds
like purposive behavior, aka free will.  If you can find a way to make
these claims without presupposing what you're denying, you'll be on
better footing.

Bruce Nevin
bn@cch.bbn.com
<usual_disclaimer>