[comp.ai.digest] science, reality, man

YLIKOSKI@FINFUN.BITNET (06/14/88)

Date: Sun, 12 Jun 88 05:01 EDT
From: YLIKOSKI%FINFUN.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Subject:  science, reality, man
To: AILIST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

Distribution-File:
        AILIST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

In AIList Digest V7 #25, Bruce E. Nevin <bnevin@cch.bbn.com>
writes:

>the two aspects of what is real:  the absolute Ding an Sich, and those
>agreements that we hold about reality so long as we can get away with
>it.  In this relationship, consensual reality is not scientifically
>implausible; it is, at its most refined, science itself.

It would be interesting to hear opinions about the idea that we have
representations of the Ding an Sich very much like a robot which has
a representation of its environment.

Then that which we can perceive, think and feel only reflects that which
there is ... say, inside one's cranium, perhaps to put it in a better way
- what you can know reflects your mind.

Then what a scientist should do is to do things such as learning karate;
good music <Kraftwerk and Yello recommended> - good art - good
literature; study other sciences (I personally love Mathematics).

How well our intracranial representations reflect reality is a difficult
problem.

                        Andy Ylikoski