[comp.ai.digest] Resource limitation applied to hypostatization and consensus reality

BOCK@INTELLICORP.ARPA (Conrad Bock) (06/14/88)

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 88 01:27 EDT
From: Conrad Bock <BOCK@INTELLICORP.ARPA>
Subject: Resource limitation applied to hypostatization and consensus reality
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu

I would not entirely recommend Winograd and Flores' book, but a way
occurred to me to make it (and consensus reality) more intelligible from
a computer scientific viewpoint.

If we agree that our minds are constructing theoretical entities from
patterns in our input-output data, then we might also agree that there
are so many theoretical entities that only a few of them can be open to
revision at any one time, given resource limitations.  This is
hypostatization (ie, taking concepts to be reality) as a computer
scientist might express it.

Since many of the concepts we use are learned from other people, we
might assume that many of our hypostatized concepts (which are part of
our reality) are due to social interaction (as Hayes suggested).  Hence,
reality is partly social.  A computer scientist might say the concepts
are in, or have been put into, the hardware or at least a lower level
language.  Winograd and Flores might call these concepts (I'm
interpreting now) ``practice'' or ``background''.

That's the proposal.  There's already a hole in it as far as Winograd
and Flores go: since we as computer scientists build our machines, we
don't have as much interest in situations where the machine was already
built before we got here; that's natural science.  I think Winograd and
Flores are concerned with the situation where we are the machines that
are already built (practice is ``already doing''), so the causality is
from background to concepts, not the other way around.

Conrad Bock
-------