[comp.ai.digest] Definition of Information

bnevin@CCH.BBN.COM (Bruce E. Nevin) (06/10/88)

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 88 08:07 EDT
From: Bruce E. Nevin <bnevin@cch.bbn.com>
Subject: definition of information
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu
cc: bn@cch.bbn.com

It is often acknowledged that information theory has nothing to say
about information in the usual sense, as having to do with meaning.
It is only concerned with a statistical measure of the likelihood of
a particular signal sequence with respect to an ensemble of signal
sequences, a metric misleadingly dubbed by Hartley, Shannon, and
others "amount of information".

Can anyone point me to a coherent definition of information respecting
information content, as opposed to merely "quantity of information"?

Bruce Nevin
bn@cch.bbn.com
<usual_disclaimer>

rar@ADS.COM (Bob Riemenschneider) (06/14/88)

Date: Sat, 11 Jun 88 16:57 EDT
From: Bob Riemenschneider <rar@ads.com>
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu, bnevin@cch.bbn.com
cc: rar@ads.com
Subject: Re: definition of information

=>   It is often acknowledged that information theory has nothing to say
=>   about information in the usual sense, as having to do with meaning.
=>   ...
=>
=>   Can anyone point me to a coherent definition of information respecting
=>   information content, as opposed to merely "quantity of information"?
=>
=>   Bruce Nevin
=>   bn@cch.bbn.com

Actually, much the same formalization applies to "real" information.  See

	R. Carnap and Y. Bar-Hillel, "An Outline of a Theory of
	Semantic Information", Technical Report 247, Research
	Laboratory of Electronics, MIT, October 1952.  (Reprinted
	in Y. Bar-Hillel, _Language and Information_, Addison-Wesley,
	1964.)

	J. Hintikka, "On Semantic Information", in: J. Hintikka and
	P. Suppes (eds.), _Information and Inference_, Reidel, 1970.

for starters.  I'm not sure what you mean by `respecting information
content', but this approach *is* based on analysis of the logical
consequences of messages.

							-- rar

bnevin@CCH.BBN.COM (Bruce E. Nevin) (06/14/88)

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 88 09:43 EDT
From: Bruce E. Nevin <bnevin@cch.bbn.com>
To: Bob Riemenschneider <rar@ads.com>
cc: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu, bnevin@cch.bbn.com

My understanding is that Carnap and Bar-Hillel set out to establish a
"calculus of information" but did not succeed in doing so.

Communication theory refers to a physical system's capacity to transmit
arbitrarily selected signals, which need not be "symbolic" (need not mean
or stand for anything).  To use the term "information" in this connection
seems Pickwickian at least.  "Real information"?  Do you mean the
Carnap/Bar-Hillel program as taken up by Hintikka?  Are you saying that
the latter has a useful representation of the meaning of texts?

Bruce Nevin
bn@cch.bbn.com
<usual_disclaimer>

golden@FRODO.STANFORD.EDU (Richard Golden) (06/15/88)

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 88 10:52 EDT
From: Richard Golden <golden@frodo.STANFORD.EDU>
To: AIList-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

In AILIST Digest V7 #26 Bruce Nevin asks:
Can anyone point me to a coherent definition of information respecting
information content, as opposed to merely "quantity of information"?

This question is really related to an earlier discussion concerned with
viewing probability theory as a measure of belief.  We can think of a
knowledge structure as being represented by a probability distribution
which assigns some "degree of belief" (i.e., a probability) to some
set of events (i.e., a sample space).  Let X be an event which occurs
with probability p(X).  Then clearly an equivalent "knowledge structure"
which assigns some "degree of surprise" (i.e., -LOG[p(X)]) to some
set of events (i.e., a sample space) may be constructed.

The simple point which I am making is that the SAMPLE SPACE and the
STRUCTURE OF ITS ELEMENTS is a necessary component of the definition of
information in a technical sense and information CONTENT (for the most
part) resides in this SAMPLE SPACE.

					Richard Golden (golden@psych)