[comp.ai.digest] Free Will vs. Society

INS_ATGE@JHUVMS.BITNET (06/14/88)

Date: Sat, 11 Jun 88 16:07 EDT
From: INS_ATGE%JHUVMS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Subject:  Free Will vs. Society
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu

I believe that as machines and human created creatures begin to pop up
more and more in advanced jobs on our planet, we are going to have to
re-evaluate our systems of blame and punishment.
  Some have said that the important parts of free will is making a choice
between good and evil.  Unfortunately, these concepts are rather
ill-defined.  I subscribe to the notion that there are not universal
'good' and 'evil' properties...I know that others definately disagree on
this point.  My defense rests in the possibility of other extremely
different life systems, where perhaps things like murder and incest, and
some of the other common things we humans refer to as 'evil' are necessary
for that life form's survival.
  Even today, there are many who do not think murder is evil under
cartain circumstances (captial punishment, war, perhaps abortion).
  I feel that we need to develop heuristics to deal with changing
needs for our species, and needs with regard to interaction with
non-human and/or non-carbon based life forms.
   Does determinism eradicate blame?  Not neccessarily.  Lets say system
X caused unwanted harm to system Y.  Even if system X had no other choice
than to cause harm to Y due to its current input and current state,
system X must still be "blamed" for the incident and hopefully
system X can be "fixed" within acceptable guidelines.
   Do our current criminal punishments actually "fix" the erring
systems?  What are socially acceptable "fixes" (to many, captital
punishment is not acceptable).?
   I am sure some may not like the idea of being "scientific" about
punishment of erring systems.  But I think the key word should be
"fixes."  Punishment by jailing may work on humans as a "fix", but
not on an IBM PC.  The IBM PC will undoubtably be fixed better by
replacing bad chips on board.  And this can be determined by
comparison and research.

colin@CS.UCLA.EDU (Colin F. Allen) (06/17/88)

To: comp-ai-digest@seismo.CSS.GOV
From: Colin F. Allen  <colin@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Subject: Re: Free Will vs. Society
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 88 18:10 EDT
Sender: news@CS.UCLA.EDU

In article <19880613194742.7.NICK@INTERLAKEN.LCS.MIT.EDU>
  INS_ATGE@JHUVMS.BITNET writes:
>ill-defined.  I subscribe to the notion that there are not universal
>'good' and 'evil' properties...I know that others definately disagree on
>this point.  My defense rests in the possibility of other extremely
>different life systems, where perhaps things like murder and incest, and
>some of the other common things we humans refer to as 'evil' are necessary
>for that life form's survival.

But look, this is all rather naive.....you yourself are giving a criterion
(survival value) for the acceptability of certain practices.  So even if
murder etc. are not universal evils, you do nonetheless believe that harming
others without good cause is bad.  So, after all, you do accept some
general characterization of good and bad.