[comp.ai.digest] Why I hope Aaron HAS disposed of the Free Will issue

SUTHERS@cs.umass.EDU (06/17/88)

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 88 23:37 EDT
From: SUTHERS%cs.umass.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Why I hope Aaron HAS disposed of the Free Will issue
To: AIList-REQUEST@mc.lcs.mit.edu

    Just a few years ago, I would have been delighted to be able to
    participate in a network discussion on free will.  Now I skip over
    these discussions in the AIList.  Why does it seem fruitless?

    Many of the arguments seem endless, perhaps because they are arguments
    about conclusions rather than assumptions.  We disagree about
    conclusions and argue, while never stating our assumptions.  If
    we did the latter, we'd find we simply disagree, and there would
    be nothing to argue about.

    But Aaron Sloman has put his finger on the pragmatic side of why
    these discussions (though engaging for some), seem to be without
    progress.  Arguments about generic, undefined categories don't impact
    on *what we do* in AI: the supposed concept does not have an image
    in the design decisions we must make in building computational models
    of interesting behaviors.

    So in the future, if these discussions must continue, I hope that
    the participants will have the discipline to try to work out how
    the supposed issues at stake and their positions on them impact
    on what we actually do, and use examples of the same in their
    communications as evidence of the relevancy of the discussion.
    It is otherwise too easy to generate pages of heated discussion
    which really tell us nothing more than what our own prejudices are
    (and even that is only implicit).  -- Dan Suthers