[comp.ai.digest] Consensual realities are structurally unstable

mckee@corwin.ccs.northeastern.EDU (George McKee) (06/20/88)

Date: Sat, 18 Jun 88 13:27 EDT
From: George McKee <mckee%corwin.ccs.northeastern.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: ailist@mc.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Consensual realities are structurally unstable

(another comment, better late than never, I hope.)

As Pat Hayes points out, the right way to interpret the phrase
"consensual reality" is as a belief system held by some group of
participants about the nature of the universe.  However, given a
universe that contains more than one group and group-reality, it's
reasonable to look at the origin, scope, and structure of the different
systems and evaluate them with respect to each other.  Now it's
conceivable that you may find two or more systems with equivalent
descriptive and predictive power, and with equally compact
representations in the minds of the participants, and in this situation
you might be justified in saying that there is more than one
fundamental reality.  But this doesn't seem to be the case, and there
is in fact one description of the collective experience of humanity,
namely science, that clearly outranks all the alternatives in just
about any respect you may wish to examine it, except perhaps promises
of present or future happiness.  This is not to say that the scientific
description of reality is complete or without weak spots, just that
it's so much better than the others that it surprises me that people
can argue against the primacy of scientific, physical reality and use a
computer at the same time.

But even leaving the content of a description of reality aside, I think
it's provable that a constructive, exterior description of the
universe, one that posits a single fundamental reality that generates
the thoughts and perceptions of each observer, is more *stable* than an
interior one that assumes the primacy of mental activity and doesn't
assume a physical origin of thought, and consequently permits the
observer to accept the validity of multiple descriptions.  That is, as
long as both the interior and exterior viewpoints are sensitive to new
data, many if not all of the potential realities consistent with the
interior view are susceptible to catastrophic reorganizations triggered
by single new datums, while the single reality assumed by the exterior
view can only be incrementally modified by any single fact.

The proof of this is, as they say, "too long for this page", but one
part of it rests on the observation, implicit in Turing's proof of
universal computability, that a computer can't determine its microcode
by executing instructions.  That is, a mind can't determine its
fundamental principles of operation by thinking.  You have to look at
the implementation -- the hardware and microcode.  For computational
minds we'll be sure to know the details of the implementation, because
we did the design.  For the human mind, designed as it is by the random
processes of genetic variation and historical accident, it's very hard
to know what aspects of its structure and organization are essential or
important, and which ones aren't.  But it's clear that we now have
tools that are only a quantitative step away from telling us what we
need to know about how the brain implements the mind.  Those people who
say "we have no idea about how the brain works" are just announcing
their own ignorance.

The best that a mind can do by thought alone is to determine an
infinite equivalence class of possible implementations of itself.  This
is apparently one of the major conclusions of Hilary Putnam's
soon-to-be-released book "Representation and Reality."  It'll be
interesting to read it to find out if he's able to take the next step
and show the determination of a unique implementation of each human
mind in the brain of each individual member of H. sapiens.  I sure hope
so...

	- George McKee
	  NU Computer Science

p.s. And you thought I was going to write about Catastrophe Theory.
Not today...