[comp.ai.digest] Human-Human Communication

bnevin@CCH.BBN.COM (Bruce E. Nevin) (06/10/88)

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 88 09:35 EDT
From: Bruce E. Nevin <bnevin@cch.bbn.com>
Subject: Re:  human-human communication
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu
cc: hbarr@pineapple.bbn.com, bn@cch.bbn.com

In AIList Digest 7.24, Hunter Barr <bbn.com!pineapple.bbn.com!barr@bbn.com
or maybe hbarr@pineapple.bbn.com> says regarding Human-human communication:

HB> I will now express in language:
HB> "How to recognize the color red on sight (or any other color)..":

HB> Find a person who knows the meaning of the word "red."  Ask her to
HB> point out objects which are red, and objects which are not,
HB> distinguishing between them as she goes along.  If you are physically
HB> able to distinguish colors, you will soon get the hang of it.

This evades the question by stating in language how to find out for
yourself what I can't tell you in language.

Bruce Nevin
bn@cch.bbn.com
<usual_disclaimer>

ray@BOEING.COM (Ray Allis) (06/16/88)

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 88 12:20 EDT
From: Ray Allis <ray@BOEING.COM>
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu

In AIList Digest V7 #31, Stephen Smoliar writes:

> First of all, NO dance notation provides sufficient information for the
> exact reproduction of a movement.

Likewise there's not sufficient information in an English description
of "red" to impart knowledge to a listener.

> Ultimately, I tend to agree with Gilbert that the problem is not in the
> notation but in what is trying to be communicated.  Video is as valuable
> in reconstructing dances as it is in gymnastics, but there is still no
> substitute for "shaping" bodies.  What Gilbert calls "memory positions"
> I have always called "muscular memory;"  and I'm afraid there is no substitute
> for physical experience when it comes to acquiring it.

Your experience with dance notation is illustrative of a characteristic
of languages in general, and a seriously flawed assumption in "AI".
"Natural" language *evokes* experience in a listener; language can't
*impart* experience. No amount of English description will produce the
experience of "red" in a congenitally blind person, or a computer, or
produce the same quality of associations with "flame" and "danger" and
"hot" and "blushing" that a sighted person can hardly avoid.

In order for a computer (read digital computer) to "understand" human
language, it must have *experience* which the language can evoke.  "Data
structures" won't do, because they are symbols themselves, not experience.
In iconic languages, (e.g. the dance notations you mention) there is a
small amount of information conveyed because the perception of the icon
itself is an experience.  Seeing a picture of a platypus is similar to
seeing a platypus.  Reading or listening to a description of a platypus
is not.  Hearing "cerulean" described in English conveys no information,
and any "understanding" on the part of the receiver must be *created*
from that receiver's experience.

It is this line of thought which led me several years ago to discard the
Physical Symbol System Hypothesis.  Physical symbol systems are *not*
sufficient to explain or reproduce human thought and behavior.  They are
formal systems (form-al: concerning form, eliminating content).  The
PSSH is, however, a useful guide for most of what is called "AI", which is
the mechanization of formal logic, an engineering task and
properly a part of computer science.  That task has nothing to do with the
creation of intelligence.  I can certainly understand the irritation
of the engineers at people who want to re-think such a job after it's
started.

JZEM@MARIST.BITNET (William J. Joel) (06/20/88)

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 88 13:14 EDT
From: William J. Joel <JZEM%MARIST.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Human-Human Communication
To: AILIST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

It seems to me that recent discussion on this topic has been running
around in circles.  First off, all communication is coded.  The types
that humans use are merely ways to encapsulate thought so that another
human might attempt to understand what the first human meant.
In order to truely 'understand' each other we would first have to
understand exactly how the brain works ... exactly.  Since that's far
off, then anything we do is but an approximation.