[comp.ai.digest] Ding an sich

JMC@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU (John McCarthy) (06/22/88)

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 88 06:22 EDT
From: John McCarthy <JMC@SAIL.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Ding an sich
To: ailist@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

I want to defend the extreme point of view that it is both
meaningful and possible that the basic structure of the
world is unknowable.  It is also possible that it is
knowable.  It just depends on how much of the structure
of the world happens to interact with us.  This is like
Kant's "Ding an sich" (the thing in itself) except that
I gather that Kant considered "Ding an sich" as unknowable
in principle, whereas I only consider that it might be
unknowable.

The basis of this position is the notion of evolution
of intelligent beings in a world not created for their
scientific convenience.  There is no mathematical theorem
requiring that if a world evolves intelligent beings,
these beings must be in a position to discover all its
laws.

To illustrate this idea, consider the Life cellular
automaton proposed by John Horton Conway and studied
by him and various M.I.T. hackers and others.  It's
described in Winning Ways by Berlekamp, Conway and
Guy.

Associated with each point of the two dimensional
integer lattice is a state that takes values  0  and
1.  The state of a point at time  t+1  is determined
by its state at time  t  and the states at time  t  of
its eight neighbors.  Namely, if the number of
neigbors in state  1  is less than two or more than
4, its state at time  t+1  is  0.  If it has exactly two
neighbors in state  1,  its state remains as it was.
If it has exactly  3  neighbors in state  1,  its
new state is  1.

There is a configuration of five cells in state  1  (with neighbors
in state  0) called a glider, which reproduces itself displaced
in two units of time.  There is a configuration called a glider
gun that emits gliders.  There are configurations that thin out
streams of gliders from a glider gun.  There are configurations
that take two streams of gliders as inputs and perform logical
operations (regarding the presence of a glider
at a given time in the stream as  1  and its absence
as  0) on them producing a new stream.  Thinned streams can
cross each other and serve as wires conducting signals.
This permits the construction of general purpose computers
in the Life plane.

The Life automaton wasn't designed to admit computers.  The
discovery that it did was made by hacking.  Configurations
that can serve as general purpose computers can be made
in a variety of ways.  The way indicated above and more
fully described in Berlekamp, et. al. is only one.

Now suppose that one or more interacting Life computers are
programmed to be physicists, i.e. to attempt to discover
the fundamental physics of their world.  There is no reason
to expect a mathematical theorem about cellular automata
in general or the Life cellular automaton in particular
that says that a physicist program will be able to discover
that the fundamental physics of its world is the Life
cellular automaton.

It requires some extra attention in the design of the computer to make
sure that it has any capability to observe at all, and some that can
observe will be unable to observe enough detail.  Of course, we could
program a Life computer to simulate some other "second level" cellular
automaton that admits computers, and give the "second level computer" only
the ability to observe the "second level world".  In that case, it surely
couldn't find any evidence for the its world being the Life cellular
automaton.  Indeed the Life automaton could simulate exceedingly slowly
any theory we like of our 3+1 dimensional world.

If a Life world physicist is provided with too narrow a philosophy
of science, and some of the consensual reality theories may indeed
be that narrow, it might not regard the hypothesis that its physics
is the Life world as meaningful.  There may be Life world physicists who
regard it as meaningful and Life world philosophers of science
interacting with them who try to forbid it.

This illustrates what I mean by metaepistemology.  Metaepistemology must
study what knowledge is possible for intelligent beings in a world to the
structure of the world and the physical structures and computational
programs that support scientific activity.

The traditional methods of philosophy of science are too weak to discuss
these matters, because they don't take into account how the structure of
the world and the structure of its intelligences affect what science is
possible.  There is no more guarantee that the structure of our
world is observable than that Fermat's last theorem is decidable
in Peano arithmetic.  Physicists are always proposing theories
of fundamental physics whose testability depends on the correctness
of other theories and the development of new apparatus.  For example,
some of the current GUTS theories predict unification of the
force laws at energies of 10^15 Mev, and there is no current
idea of how an accelerator producing such an energy might
be physically possible.

I have received messages asking me if the metaepistemology I propose
is like what has been proposed by Kant and other philosophers
or even by Winograd and Flores.  As far as I can tell it's not,
and all those mentioned are subject to the criticism of the
previous paragraph.