[comp.ai.digest] AI language

YLIKOSKI@FINFUN.BITNET (06/22/88)

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 88 02:23 EDT
From: YLIKOSKI%FINFUN.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Subject:  AI language
To: AILIST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

Distribution-File:
        AILIST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

In a recent AIList issue, Pat Hayes wished to get a list of desirable
features for an AI language.

My opinion is that we need new theoretical formalisms for expressing
intelligence and the world of a human being for the basis of new AI
languages.

It seems to me that almost all successful programming languages have a
good background formalism.  APL has Iverson's array notation.  Modern
Lisp (CommonLOOPS and Zetalisp) has several ones: functional
programming, the idea of the list, object-oriented programming.  The
Algol/Pascal family of languages has the idea of expressing the
language unambiguously with the Backus-Naur notation.

                        Andy Ylikoski