[comp.ai.digest] Unisys AI seminar: The Causal Simulation of Ordinary and Intermittent Mechanical Devices

finin@PRC.Unisys.COM (06/24/88)

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 88 13:27 EDT
From: finin@PRC.Unisys.COM
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Unisys AI seminar: The Causal Simulation of Ordinary and Intermittent Mechanical Devices

			      AI SEMINAR
		     UNISYS PAOLI RESEARCH CENTER

		  The Causal Simulation of Ordinary
		 and Intermittent Mechanical Devices

			       Pearl Pu
		      University of Pennsylvania

The causal simulation of physical devices is an important area in the
field of commonsense reasoning of the everyday physical world.  When a
human expert describes the way a physical device works, for example a
pendulum clock, he or she uses commonsense knowledge of physics and
mathematics. To make computers to do likewise, we must first construct
a knowledge representation scheme that captures commonsense knowledge,
and supports causal simulation.

Mechanical systems, especially those that exhibit intermittent
motions, provide a good basis for the investigation of behavioral
reasoning issues.  Our key observation is that the spatial
configuration of mechanical devices changes periodically. So far only
simple links or conduits have been used to model the connection
between a pair of objects in the field.  We offer a solution which
uses a separate representational entity, called the connection frame,
to model the spatial relationships between a pair of objects and how
those relationships achieve force or velocity propagation.  The
connection representation is assumed supplied as part of the design
knowledge of the mechanism, though it could be just as readily
computed by other spatial connection determination methods.

In this talk, I describe a framework constructed to simulate the
behaviors of regular and intermittent mechanical systems, with an
emphasis on force and velocity propagation reasoning. In general, it
appears that continuous motion can usually be modeled by velocity
propagation while intermittent motion is best approached by force
propagation.

The second part of the talk, I discuss a simulation system which
attempts to reason about how the physical devices work by simulating
the devices qualitatively, mimicing the way people perform such a
task. The simulation algorithm will be outlined.  Several examples
analyzed with the model include dozens of generic objects and
connections, a two-gear device, a spring-driven cam mechanism, and a
pendulum clock. Currently the simulation is being implemented on the
Symbolics Lisp machine in Flavors, which is an object-oriented
language.  Some of the implementation issues will be discussed as
well.

		      2:00 pm Wednesday, June 29
			 BIC Conference room
		     Unisys Paoli Research Center
		      Route 252 and Central Ave.
			    Paoli PA 19311

   -- non-Unisys visitors who are interested in attending should --
   --   send email to finin@prc.unisys.com or call 215-648-7446  --