[comp.ai.digest] heuristics

nicky@VX2.GBA.NYU.EDU (Nicky Ranganathan) (06/26/88)

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 88 14:10 EDT
From: Nicky Ranganathan <nicky@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU>
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu
Subject: heuristics

 I am currently attempting a classification of heuristics based on the
"type" of the heuristic and the manner in which it is used. For
example, a heuristic such as "A smell of gas in the air could signal
the presence of a leak in a pipe" is an evidential association,
linking some observable feature of the environment to a probable fault
or hypothesis. Heuristics that impose orderings on the reliability of
components are essentially built on statistical experience, and can be
used to discriminate between competing hypotheses.
 I would appreciate ideas/examples/pointers to heuristics like the
above, from any domain, how they could be classified, and how they
would be used. Also, any speculations comparing the general nature of
heuristics for different tasks, such as diagnosis, planning and
prediction would be much appreciated.
 Please e-mail responses to me. If there is sufficient interest I will
post a summary or e-mail those who are interested. Thanks in advance.
--Nicky
Nicky Ranganathan         Internet: nicky@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU
Information Systems Dept. UUCP: ...{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!vx2!nicky
New York University       Bitnet: nicky@nybvx1