[comp.ai.digest] possible value of AI

DJS%UTRC@utrcgw.utc.COM (06/26/88)

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 88 17:52 EDT
From: DJS%UTRC%utrcgw.utc.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: possible value of AI
To: ailist@mc.lcs.mit.edu

Gilbert Cockton writes:

"... Once again, what the hell can a computer program tell us about
ourselves? Secondly, what can it tell us that we couldn't find out by
studying people instead?"

What do people use mirrors for? What the hell can a MIRROR tell us about
ourselves? Secondly, what can it tell us that we couldn't find out by
studying people instead?

	Isn't it possible that a computer program could have properties
which might facilitate detailed self analysis? I believe some people
have already seen the dim reflection of true intelligence in the primitive
attempts of AI research. Hopefully all that is needed is extensive
polishing and the development of new tools.

				David Sirag
				UTRC

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) (06/29/88)

To: comp-ai-digest@rutgers.edu
From: uwvax!uwslh!lishka@rutgers.edu (Fish-Guts)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Subject: Re: possible value of AI
Date: 26 Jun 88 15:41:38 GMT

In a previous article, DJS%UTRC@utrcgw.utc.COM writes:
>Gilbert Cockton writes:
>
>"... Once again, what the hell can a computer program tell us about
>ourselves? Secondly, what can it tell us that we couldn't find out by
>studying people instead?"
>
>What do people use mirrors for? What the hell can a MIRROR tell us about
>ourselves? Secondly, what can it tell us that we couldn't find out by
>studying people instead?

     Personally, I think everything can tell us something about
ourselves, be it mirror, computer, or rock.  Maybe it depends on what
one expects to find?

>	Isn't it possible that a computer program could have properties
>which might facilitate detailed self analysis? I believe some people
>have already seen the dim reflection of true intelligence in the primitive
>attempts of AI research. Hopefully all that is needed is extensive
>polishing and the development of new tools.

     Whether or not there has been a "dim reflection of true
intelligence in the primitive attempts of AI research" is an opinion,
varying greatly with who you talk to.  I would think that there are
"some people" who have already seen "true intelligence" (however
bright or dim) in anything and everything.  Again, their opinions.

>				David Sirag
>				UTRC

     The above are my opinions, although they might be those of my
cockatiels as well.

					-Chris
--
Christopher Lishka                | lishka@uwslh.uucp