[comp.ai.digest] Proposed robotics list

jbn@GLACIER.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (07/02/88)

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 88 00:51 EDT
From: John B. Nagle <jbn@glacier.stanford.edu>
Subject: Proposed robotics list
To: AILIST@ai.ai.mit.edu

     I previously asked if a robotics mailing list existed, and if not, was
there interest in starting one.  I have now received seven replies,
none indicating the existence of such a list, and all interested in
subscribing to one.

     I would like to see such a list created.  Personally, I would
like to see a moderated list, along the lines of AILIST, in hopes of
keeping the percentage of useful content high enough to keep the
information useful to those doing robotics research.  Alternatively,
it could be a USENET newsgroup, perhaps gatewayed to the non-UNIX
machines by appropriate sites.  What is the sense of the AILIST community?

     Choose one:

	- A robotics list is not necessary.
	- A moderated list is preferable.
	- An unmoderated list is preferable.

     Reply to me, (jbn@glacier.stanford.edu) and I will summarize.

						John Nagle

[Editor's note -

	The current hookup between AIList and usenet has been a great
source of trouble for me, due in part to the fact that the usenet side
is unmoderated while the internet/bitnet side is.

	I currently perform the forwarding by hand, with little
opportunity to prune headers and such - to the great consternation of
many members of the usenet community.

	I am currently looking for (or considering writing) software to
handle this task, but until some exists I could not recommend another
cross-net list using the same mechanism as AIList.  Unless, of course,
you enjoy three-legged races ...

		- nick ]