[comp.ai.digest] Guidelines for posting

AILIST-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (07/18/88)

Date: Fri, 1 Jul 88 22:41 EDT
From: AILIST-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU
To: AILIST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU
Subject: Guidelines for posting (please read this)

	When posting messages to AILIST, please try to include
descriptive Subject: lines.  Things like 'Submission to AILIST', 'Please
Post This', and the like are not really very helpful.  They cause me the
extra labor of replacing them with something (hopefully) more
appropriate.

	I assume that anything sent to AILIST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU is intended
as a submission.  If you want to communicate something that shouldn't be
posted (questions, comments, requests to be added/deleted), use
AILIST-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU.

	When posting a query about a subject, that alone should be your
Subject: line.  For instance, if you want to know about the FOOBAR
software package, avoid 'Need to know about FOOBAR' or 'Need help with
FOOBAR' in favor of simply 'FOOBAR'.  If you are responding to a query, use
the form 'Response to FOOBAR'.

	When posting Calls for Papers or Announcements, the Subject:
line should simply be the name of the conference or whatever.  Leave it
to me to figure out precisely what category it fits into.  Announcements
should be short and to the point.  Registration forms and unnecessary
verbiage will be edited out without notice.

	For seminar announcements, a Subject: line more descriptive than
'Reminder -- AI Industries Revolving Seminar Tuesday' is nice.  Perhaps
a paraphrase of the title of the talk, followed by the name of the
author would be more informative.

	Please resist the urge to fiddle with the Subject: line when
replying to someone else's message.  It's true that conversations tend
to drift off-subject.  But not everyone in the world has good
conversation-following mail software (in particular, I don't) and
keeping semi-consistent subject lines will help immensely.

	If anyone has any other suggestions or comments on this, please
send them to AILIST-REQUEST@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

	Many thanks,

		- nick