[comp.ai.digest] Reproducing the brain in low-power analog CMOS

jbn@GLACIER.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (07/01/88)

Date: Wed, 29 Jun 88 11:23 EDT
From: John B. Nagle <jbn@glacier.stanford.edu>
Subject: Reproducing the brain in low-power analog CMOS
To: AILIST@ai.ai.mit.edu

      Forget Turing machines.  The smart money is on reproducing the brain
with low-pwer analog CMOS VLSI.  Carver Mead is down at Caltech, reverse
engineering the visual system of monkeys and building equivalent electronic
circuits.  Progress seems to be rapid.  Very possibly, traditional AI will
be bypassed by the VLSI people.

					John Nagle

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) (07/18/88)

To: comp-ai-digest@rutgers.edu
From: Fish-Guts <uwvax!uwslh!lishka@rutgers.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Subject: Re: Reproducing the brain in low-power analog CMOS (LONG!)
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 88 11:03 EDT

In a previous article,jbn@GLACIER.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:
>Date: Wed, 29 Jun 88 11:23 EDT
>From: John B. Nagle <jbn@glacier.stanford.edu>
>Subject: Reproducing the brain in low-power analog CMOS
>To: AILIST@ai.ai.mit.edu
>

>      Forget Turing machines.  The smart money is on reproducing the brain
>with low-pwer analog CMOS VLSI.  Carver Mead is down at Caltech, reverse
>engineering the visual system of monkeys and building equivalent electronic
>circuits.  Progress seems to be rapid.  Very possibly, traditional AI will
>be bypassed by the VLSI people.
>
>					John Nagle

     There is one catch: you do need to know what the Brain (be it
human, monkey, or insect) is doing at a neuronal level.  After two
courses in Neurobiology, I am convinced that humans are quite far away
from understanding even a fraction of what is going on.

     Although I do not know much about the research happening at
Caltech, I would suspect that they are reverse engineering the visual
system from the retina and working their way back to the visual
cortex.  From what I was taught, the first several stages in the
visual system consist of "preprocessing circuits" (in a Professor's
words), and serve to transform the signals from the rods and cones
into higher-order constructs (i.e. lines, motion, etc.).  If this is
indeed what they are researching at Caltech, then it is a good choice,
although a rather low level one.  I would bet that these stages lend
themselves well to being implemented in hardware, although I don't
know how many "deep" issues about the Brain and Mind that
implementation of these circuits will solve.

    One of my Professors pointed out that studying higher order visual
functions is hard because of all of the preprocessing stages that
occur before the visual cortex (where higher order functions are
thought to occur).  Since we do not yet know exactly what kinds of
"data abstractions" are reaching the visual cortex, it is hard to come
up with any hardcore theories of the visual cortex because noone
really knows what the input to that area looks like.  Sure, we know
what enters the retina, and a fair bit about the workings of the rods
and cones, but how the signals are transformed as they pass through
the bipolar, horizontal, amacrine, and ganglion cells is not known to
any great certainty.  [NOTE: a fair bit seems to be known about how
individual classes of neurons tranform the signals, but the overall
*picture* is what is still missing].  Maybe this is what the folks at
Caltech are trying to do; I am not sure.  It would help a great deal
in later studies of the visual system to know what kinds of inputs are
reaching the visual cortex.

     However, there are other areas of research that do address higher
order functions in cortex.  The particular area that I am thinking of
is the Olfactory System, specifically the Pyriform Cortex.  This
cortex is only one synapse away from the olfactory sensory apparatus,
so the input into the Pyriform Cortex is *not* preprocessed to any
great degree; much less so than the > 4 levels of preprocessing that
occur in the visual system.  Futhermore, the Pyriform Cortex seems to
be similar in structure to several Neural Net models, including some
proposed by Hopfield (who does much of his work in hardware).
Therefore, it is much easier to figure out what sort of inputs are
reaching the Pyriform Cortex, though even this has been elusive to a
large degree.  The current research indicates that certain Neural Net
models effectively duplicate characteristics of the cortex to a good
degree.  I have read several interesting articles on the storage and
retrieval of previous odors in the Pyriform Cortex; these papers use
Content-Addressable Memory (also called Associative Memory) as the
predominant model.  There is even some direct modelling being done by
a couple of Grad. students on a Sun workstatoin down in California.
[If anyone wants these references, send me email; if there is enough
interest, I will post them].

     My point is: do not write off AI (especially Neural Net) theories
so fast; there is much interesting work being done right now that has
a much potential as being important in the long run as the work being
done at Caltech.  Just because they are implementing Brain *circuits*
and *architecture* in hardware does not mean they will get any closer
than AI researchers.  I still believe that AI researchers are doing
much more higher order research than anything that has been
implemented in hardware.

     Furthermore, the future of AI does not lie only in Artificial
Intelligence and Computer Science.  You bring up a good point: look at
other disciplines as well; your example was hardware.  But look even
further: Neurobiology is a fairly important area of reasearch in this
area.  So are the Computational sciences: Hopfield does quite a bit of
research here.  Furthermore, Hopfield is (or was, at least) a
Physicist; in fact I saw him give a lecture here at the UW about his
networks where he related his work to AI, Neurobiology, Physics,
Computational Sciences, and more...and the talk took place (and was
sponsored by) the Physics department.  Research into AI and Brain
related fields is being performed in many discplines, and each will
influence all others in the end.

     Whew!  Sorry to get up on my soapbox, but I had to let it out.
Remember, these are just my humble opinions, so don't take them too
seriously if you do not like them.  I would be happy to discuss this
further over email, and I can give you references to some interesting
articles to read on ties between AI and Neurobiology (almost all
dealing with the Olfactory System, as that looks the most promising
from my point of view).

					-Chris--
Christopher Lishka                | lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene    | lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu
Immunology Section  (608)262-1617 | ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
"...Just because someone is shy and gets straight A's does not mean they won't
put wads of gum in your arm pits."
                          - Lynda Barry, "Ernie Pook's Commeek: Gum of Mystery"