[comp.ai.digest] Smart money

ray@BOEING.COM (Ray Allis) (07/18/88)

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 88 12:09 EDT
From: Ray Allis <ray@BOEING.COM>
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Smart money

John Nagle says:

>       Forget Turing machines.  The smart money is on reproducing the brain
>with low-power analog CMOS VLSI.  Carver Mead is down at Caltech, reverse
>engineering the visual system of monkeys and building equivalent electronic
>circuits.  Progress seems to be rapid.  Very possibly, traditional AI will
>be bypassed by the VLSI people.

Hear, hear!  Smart money indeed!  I don't know whether Carver prefers to work
low-profile, but this has to be the most undervalued AI work of the century.
This is the most likely area for the next breakthrough toward creating
intelligent artifacts.  And the key concept is that these devices are
ANALOG.

Ray Allis
Boeing Computer Services-Aerospace Support
CSNET: ray@boeing.com