[comp.ai.digest] ASL notation

doug@feedme.UUCP (Doug Salot) (07/18/88)

From: Doug Salot <doug@feedme.UUCP>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Subject: ASL notation
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 88 14:47 EDT

hayes.pa@XEROX.COM writes:
>On dance notation:
>A quick suggestion for a similar but perhaps even thornier problem:  a notation
>for the movements involved in deaf sign language.

I'm not sure how this would benefit the deaf community, as most signers
are quite capable of reading written language, however work has been
done to "quantize" ASL.  Look to the work of Poizner, Bellugi, et al
at the Salk Institute for suggested mappings between several movement
attributes (planar locus, shape, iteration freq., etc) and language
attributes (case, number, etc.).
---
Doug Salot || doug@feedme.UUCP || ...{trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!feedme!doug
                    "Thinking: The Thinking Man's Sport"