[comp.ai.digest] Bilingual Children as Translators

DWELLS@G.BBN.COM (Dori Wells) (07/18/88)

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 88 09:41 EDT
From: Dori Wells <DWELLS@G.BBN.COM>
Subject: Bilingual Children as Translators
To: ai-folks@G.BBN.COM

                       BBN Science Development Program
                     Language & Cognition Seminar Series

      BILINGUAL CHILDREN AS TRANSLATORS: RECOGNIZING AND CAPITALIZING
           ON NATURAL ABILITIES IN LANGUAGE MINORITY STUDENTS

                            Sheila M. Shannon
               Research Associate, Department of Psychology
                            Yale University

                            BBN Laboratories
                           10 Moulton Streeet
                     Large Conference Room, 2nd Floor

                   10:30 a.m., Tuesday, July 12, 1988

Abstract:  Recent research in psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics,
and language pedadgogy has looked at translation (oral) and
interpretation (written) activities and skills in bilingual children.
Earlier work on translation strictly dealt with the professional field
of translation and interpretation, and not with the spontaneous kinds
of translating in which bilinguals engage.  This presentation reviews
the more recent work in the three disciplines with a focus on the
author's own work in sociolinguistics and pedadgogy.  I examine the
nature of translation skills and ways they naturally emerge as a
benefit to being bilingual; explore ways that cognitive, linguistic,
and social abilities are involved in translation activity; consider
how these abilities may be integrated into language classroom
experiences; and assess a pilot program based on translation exercises
implemented in one classroom.  The work presented here fundamentally
concerns itself with bilingual children of language minority
communities in this country--those who require our greatest efforts to
insure their academic success.  I present work carried out with one
Mexican American community in California and a Puerto Rican community
in Connecticut.
-------