[comp.ai.digest] LISP Implementation: Clarification of the Question

drl@vuse.vanderbilt.EDU (David R. Linn) (07/18/88)

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 88 13:46 EDT
From: David R. Linn <drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu
Subject: LISP Implementation: Clarification of the Question

"What???  Oh, I see; we use the term 'interpreter' to mean different
things."

From the initial response to my question about noninterpretive LISP
implementations, it appears obvious that I misphrased the question.
Perhaps a bit of context will help.

My project involved porting the Franz LISP system (38.87)to two nonBSD
environments. The core of the FL system is a C and assembly language
program called _rawlisp_. This program is, by my definition, a LISP
interpreter but it supplies more than just the evaluation service.  It
supplies the memory management, i/o primitives, stack/memory
management and basic LISP environment maintenance. All FL programs,
whether interpreted or compiled, run within the environment provided
by the interpreter (usually by _lisp_, a version of _rawlisp_ whose
environment has been heavily augmented by loading (compiled) LISP
code). Perhaps a better name for what I call a "LISP interpreter"
would be a "LISP environmental support program" (LISP ESP).

Now, hopefully, I can restate my quesion in clearer terms: Does anyone
know of a LISP implmentation that does not support the language by
execute it?  I disqualify setups like the FL autorun facility since
these implicitly involve loading code into a LISP ESP and preloaded
systems like the FL LISP compiler _liszt_.  Although it would be
difficult, I can see that it might be possible to support LISP like C:
compile the source to object code and link the object with a startup
routine and (probably hefty) library.

Again, please reply directly to me and I will summarize the responses.

	 David

David Linn - drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (should now agree with header)