[comp.ai.digest] Modeling Trends

RCSTBW@HEITUE5 (07/26/88)

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 88 14:35 EDT
From: RCSTBW@HEITUE5
Subject:  Modeling Trends
To: ai-l@taunivm

Dear AIlisters,

At the Eindhoven University of Technology, the Bureau for Biomedical and
Health Technology will try to model trends in Medical Technology. They are
thinking of using an expert-system (shell) to do so, but is that the right
way to do it?

Does anyone of you out there know of earlier attempts to characterize trend?
Has anyone developed software to do so?

Can anyone tell me if there has been an attempt in cognitive psychology to
use artificial intelligence to recognize trends? I know for example of one
attempt tp predict the actions of persons by eliciting their goals ( C.F.
Schmidt N.S. Sridharan and J.L. Goodson, 1978 in Artificial Intelligence).
The system they used was called BELIEVER. But it seems impossible to track
down more recent research on that. The BELIEVER system was developed at the
Rutgers University, New Brunswick. It is a psychological theory of how
people understand actions of others. In my opinion recognizing trends is
understanding and predicting actions of groups of people (or companies).

At our department of Industrial Engineering people are working on research
in Human Factors and Automation in the process industry. We are especially
interested in how to use artificial intelligence (or expert-sytems if anyone
prefers that) to support proces-operators by their task as controller and
guard of (chemical) processes. There has already been research on this
subject Hoechst and DSM (2 pretty large chemical companies) by Harmen Kragt
and Tjerk van der Schaaf.
A colleague and very good friend of mine, Arjen den Boer, will do research
on this subjuct, starting at 1 september, 1988. His subject will be:
Diagnostic support of the process operator. Can anyone tell me about recent
research on that?

Summarizing:
I am looking for software for IBM PC/XT/AT or VAX/VMS, if possible public
domain, for the following applications:

        1. Characterization and recognition of trends,
        2. Recognition of actions of groups of people, can anyone tell me
           where I can find Schmidt, Sridharan or Goodson,
        3. Diagnostic support for process operators in (chemical)
           industries.

I would appreciate it, when you will send me a copy of your response by
(direct) electronic mail, because that is much easier for me to process and
to react.

You can send your response to:

                                RCSTBW@HEITUE51 (Ben Willems)

Thanks in advance!