[comp.ai.digest] ES technology in RightWriter or Grammatik

rda@epistemi.edinburgh.ac.UK (Robert Dale) (07/26/88)

From: Robert Dale <rda%epistemi.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Subject: ES technology in RightWriter or Grammatik
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 88 08:00 EDT

I notice that, according to the recently posted summary of Spang 4:5,

	"Right Writer and Gramentek II (grammar and style checkers)
	use expert system technology, sold 100,000 copies each and
	have not been sold as expert systems."

I've never used either of these programs, but have read reviews of
them (and their promotional stuff) fairly closely, and I can't see the
ES technology.  As far as I could tell, both simply search the text
for "bad strings" and suggest corresponding replacements, presumably
using a simple table lookup mechanism (although the newer Grammatik
III may be more sophisticated).  Anyone care to comment?  Does the
Spang article say anything more illuminating?

Robert Dale	   Phone: +44 31 667 1011 x6470	| University of Edinburgh
UUCP:	...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!its63b!epistemi!rda	| Centre for Cognitive Science
ARPA:	rda%epistemi.ed.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk  | 2 Buccleuch Place
JANET:	rda@uk.ac.ed.epistemi			| Edinburgh EH8 9LW Scotland