[comp.ai.digest] Cognitive Science Programs

norman%ics@SDCSVAX.UCSD.EDU (Donald A. Norman) (12/16/87)

Yes, there is a Cognitive Science Society.  It hosts an annual
conference (the next one will be in Montreal).  It publishes the
journal "Cognitive Science."   You can find out about it by writing
the secretary treasurer:
     Kurt Vanlehn
     Department of Psychology
     Carnegie-Mellon University
     Pittsburgh, PA 15213
     vanlehn@a.psy.cmu.edu

At UCSD, we are indeed in the process of establishing a Department of
Cognitive Science.   We are now hiring, but formal classes will not
start until the Fall of 1989.  We will have both an undergraduate and
a PhD program.   We now have an Interdisciplinary PhD program:
students enter some department, X, and join the interdisciplinary
program after completing the first year requirements of X.  They then
receive a "PhD in X and Congitive Sicnefce."  We have about 20
students now and have given out about 3 PhDs.
	(One of these is now in Computer Science at Toronto: Mike Mozer)

The strengths are in the computational understanding of cognition,
with strong emphasis in psychology, AI, linguisitics, neuroscience,
philosophy, and social cognition.  PDP (connectionism) is one of the
strengths at UCSD, and the approach permeates all of the different
areas of Cognitive Science, even among those of us who do not directly
do work on weights, algorithms, or connectionist architectures: the
strength grows by the hour).

Don Norman

Donald A. Norman
Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, California 92093
INTERNET: norman%ics@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu  INTERNET: danorman@ucsd.edu
BITNET:   danorman@ucsd.bitnet
ARPA:     norman@nprdc.arpa   	UNIX:{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!ics!norman

ipratt@research2.COMputer-science.manchester.ac.UK (Ian Pratt) (08/01/88)

From: Ian Pratt <ipratt%research2.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 88 10:10 EDT
To: AILIST@ai.ai.mit.edu, ghh@mind.princeton.edu
Subject: Cognitive Science Programs

There is also a Cognitive Science Master's program at Manchester
University, organized jointly by the Departments of Psychology, Computer
Science, Medical Biophysics, General Linguistics, and the Centre for
Computational Linguistics atUMIST.