[comp.ai.digest] AI and the future of the society

YLIKOSKI@FINFUN.BITNET (Antti Ylikoski tel +358 0 457 2704) (08/05/88)

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 88 09:55 EDT
From: Antti Ylikoski tel +358 0 457 2704 <YLIKOSKI%FINFUN.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject:  AI and the future of the society
To: AIList@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

I once heard an (excellent) talk by a person working with Symbolics.
(His name is Jim Spoerl.)

One line by him especially remained in my mind:

"What we can do, and animals cannot, is to process symbols.
(Efficiently.)"

In the human brain, there is a very complicated real-time symbol
processing activity going on, and the science of Artificial
Intelligence is in the process of getting to know and to model this
activity.

A very typical example of the human real-time symbol processing is
what happens when a person drives a car.  Sensory input is analyzed
and symbols are formed of it: a traffic sign; a car driving in the
same direction and passing; the speed being 50 mph.  There is some
theory building going on: that black car is in the fast lane and
drives, I guess, some 10 mph faster than me, therefore I think it's
going to pass me after about half a minute.  To a certain extent, the
driver's behaviour is rule-based: there is for example a rule saying
that whenever you see a red traffic light in front of you you have to
stop the car.  (I remember someone said in AIList some time ago that
rule-based systems are "synthetic", not similar to human information
processing.  I disagree.)

How about a very wild 1984-like fantasy: if there were people who knew
the actual functioning of the human mind as a real-time symbol
processor very well then they would have unbelieveable power upon the
souls of the poor, ignorant people, whose feelings and thoughts could
be manipulated without them being aware of it.  (Is this kind of thing
being done in the modern world or is this mere wild imagination?
Listen to of the Californian band Death Angel and their piece Mind
Rape, on the LP Frolic through the Park!)  And, of course, anyone
possessing this kind of knowledge certainly would do everything in his
power to prevent others from inventing it ...  and someone might make
it public to prevent minds from being manipulated ... oh, isn't this
farfetched.

Whether that fantasy of mine is interesting or just plan ridiculous,
it is a fact that AI opens frightening possibilities for those who
want to use the knowledge involving the human symbol processor as a
tool to manipulate minds.

Perhaps we will have to take care that AI will lead the future of the
human race to a democratic, not to a 1984-like society.

--- Andy Ylikoski

Disclaimer: just don't take me too seriously.